BOX OFFICE BEAT DOWN: 'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' Earns $84.7 Million

'Rise of the Guardians' takes second place with $7.4 million, while 'Lincoln' takes third place with $7.2 million.

WEEKEND BOX OFFICE:

Sources: Box Office Mojo

1. Gandoff

@john-m I consider myself a Tolkien fan. I read almost all of his works. Hardest read for me was the Simarillion. But as a Tolkien fan, I thought the Hobbit was really enjoyable. Yes there was fillers, but it played on screen mostly like you was reading it. There are certian movies I have gone to see more then once. And even less I wanted to but didn't. But the Hobbit is one I do plan on seeing again. I try to read the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings each year. And sit and watch the entire LOTR trilogy twice all the way through. With LOTRs being a much longer novel they had more to draw from for three movies, and even things they had to leave out. I do worry how they will pull out three films. And I have no doubt they will have to write more story to achieve this. However, as long as what they wrote is not heavy with characters not found in the book, such as those found in LOTRs. Then I am not worried. I actually found it hard to want to hat anything in the movie. And found myself enjoying it so much I will probably go back in a week or so.

1 year agoby @gandoffFlag

2. John M

@narrator: It's being compared to episode 1? I had never heard or read that, but I haven't been online much since I saw The Hobbit at the midnight showing. I'm not sure why people would compare it to The Phantom Menace. The only thing that connects them is I guess they are both prequels. I mean The Hobbit doesn't have a character like Jar Jar Binks that everyone seems to want to hate, but doesn't deserve all the hate he gets. I guess Tolkien fans could feel disappointed with The Hobbit like apparently many Star Wars fans were with episode 1. As you pointed out personally I loved the Star War prequels which includes episode 1, but I can understand the pressure that Jackson and the The Hobbit was under trying to live up to the quality of the LORT like the Lucas and the prequels did against the original trilogy.

I don't think that fits. As I've pointed out on this site I've read Tolkein's novels twice, but I am not a huge fan of the novels as others are. I think his books don't deserve the praise they get, and in fact the Lord of the Ring trilogy films were better then the novels, and I think that is what Tolkein fans had the biggest problem with at least from what I heard and read in that it was to different from the books or their made at Jackson and New Line Cinema for turning the book into a trilogy, which I have to agree with. I know why New Line Cinema wanted that for more money of course since in general every other film the make sucks and they wanted to rank in as much money as possible, but Jackson could have said no. He has a lot of power and reputation from doing the LOTR trilogy along with King Kong. I'm not sure why he agreed. I guess he wanted more money as well since I'm sure New Line is going to pay him a lot to direct a third film, but I'm still disappointed. The novel isn't that long especially for nearly three hour films and shouldn't have stretched past two films.

Now as for my personal opinion of the film. My problem with it was first it was nearly three hours long, and should have been heavily edited instead of putting filler in it to try and fill the time. The characters weren't jumping out at me like Lord of the Rings. Then were the similarities to The Fellowship of the Ring with a group of people setting of on their adventure and the film was very similar in tone and scenes with The Fellowship. I was still relatively entertained and I loved Ian McKellen as Gandalf. Ian is a great actor who I've loved in virtually every film he's in, but he couldn't save The Hobbit from mediocrity, and to be honest if I saw The Hobbit again I'd probably lower my store from 3.5 to a 3 or lower.

1 year agoby @john-mFlag

@john-m It's been compared to the Phantom Menace, which I'm aware that you didn't mind as a film. I already saw the Hobbit and disagreed with this along with the majority of my theater (judging by the clapping), but out of curiosity, what're your thoughts on that?

1 year agoby @narratorFlag

4. kingbrady

the camera movement was weird.....i enjoyed the movie but man did it seem weird...very clear and beautiful scenes is it because of the frame per second was different than your typical movie?

1 year agoby @kingbradyFlag

5. John M

The Hobbit was a disappointing film. An above average film at best. 3.5 out of 5 stars.

1 year agoby @john-mFlag

6. T. King (Red Camera Man)

I'm seeing "The Hobbit" in HFR 3D tomorrow! Can't wait! (fingers crossed)

1 year agoby @redcameramanFlag

7. Josh

The Hobbit will have no trouble holding the top spot for a while and making a fair haul over the holidays. The movie itself was very good, I thought, but not as great as the LotR films. Overall it has a good feel to it, but there are problems that keep it shy of reaching that excellence that Jackson's LotR films had.

1 year agoby @shuabertFlag

8. JonSpidey07

pretty good turnout despite a majority of the critics being less than greatly satisfied with The Hobbit
    all of them agreed that the pacing was off and it felt padded but I have yet to still see the movie
    I do concur that the book wasn't even that long and one movie would have been fine

1 year agoby @jonspidey07Flag

9. The Cryptkeeper: Resurrected

Not surprised. I knew the predictions were too high.

1 year agoby @cryptFlag

The Hobbit will be fine. It really has no competition throughout the winter months. It's in the Avatar position.

1 year agoby @ejk1Flag

Yupp, @bawnian-dexeus. This news will definitely make the studio and marketing team rethink their strategy for the sequels. I'm sure that with with the upcoming appearance of Smaug, they'll downplay any silliness in the trailers and emphasize the dragon, Beorn, Mirkwood, and the ensuing action sequences.

1 year agoby @narratorFlag

@narrator Agreed. Seeing as it cost a great fortune to make

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

The numbers are a bit disappointing, but critics do have sway over quite a few moviegoers. If they bothered to look at the audience's rating on RT, and not just the critics, they'd see that it has an approval rating of 81% and an average score of 4.2 out of 5. That's a success in my books, and I'm sure positive word of mouth will carry this film through the holidays. At least, enough to make back it's production budget and then some.

1 year agoby @narratorFlag

14. TheDude1

The Hobbit's projections tanked faster than Barack Obama's approval ratings.

1 year agoby @thedude1Flag

15. ROFLitschristian

The huge gap between Number 1 and 2 makes me laugh more than it should.

1 year agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

16. moviegeek

Kinda underwhelming. If you adjust for inflation, Return of the King grabbed 95.6 million in the 3-day, and that was without 3D and after opening on a Wednesday.. But it will hold up really well and make bank over Christmas.

1 year agoby @moviegeekFlag

17. Brian Gallagher

@bawain-dexeus Completely agree. It opened rather poorly, but it seems to have legs. Hopefully it continues to do well throughout Christmas.

1 year agoby @gallagherFlag

And I'm glad Rise of the Guardians made second place. Perfect cartoon holiday movie

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag