BOX OFFICE BEAT DOWN: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Wins with $70.5 Million

'Iron Man 3' takes second place with $35.1 million, and 'The Great Gatsby' finishes in third place with $23.4 million.

WEEKEND BOX OFFICE:

Sources: Box Office Mojo

1. Ghostman

Not to mention, Fast Six is getting positive reviews (80% on RT) while The Hangover Part III is getting trashed (24% on RT).

1 year agoby @ghostmanFlag

2. Sean

@corey Well, it will be interesting to see how that all turns out.

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

3. Corey W.

@stefanos@ghostman@themoviefanatic Let me make another point; Since Fast Six and Hangover 3 will be coming out the same weekend, you can't expect them to do better than their previous installment. Both movies will most likely lose 10 grand each due to the tough competition.

1 year agoby @coreyFlag

4. Sean

@ghostman That does not surprise me one bit. did you know that there is already a Fast and Furious 7 that is being developed ? > http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2820852/ .

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

5. Stefanos

@ghostman Yes,but this time,will be big battle,we have in one weekend,4 big stars! FF6,Star Trek Into Darkness,Iron Man 3,Hangover 3.! Will be great battle!

1 year agoby @stefanosFlag

6. Ghostman

@corey@themoviefanatic@superman81@stefanos
    Fast Five made $85 million in it's opening weekend, The Hangover Part II performed the same as well by also making $85 million ($100 million counting 4-day Memorial weekend). The thing is, the first Hangover movie made more than the Part II ($277m compared to $255m). Here's where it gets interesting, The Fast and Furious movies keep earning more money on opening weekend as each installment is released. I predict Fast 6 will make around 95-100 million dollars, whereas The Hangover Part III will come in 2nd place earning 75-80 million dollars.

1 year agoby @ghostmanFlag

7. Sean

@stefanos I agree.

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

8. Stefanos

@superman81@themoviefanatic@corey We will see,at the weekend,and then,we will talk about it! :)

1 year agoby @stefanosFlag

9. Superman81

@corey Good points, I feel that fast 5 started something new and people will want to see FF6 to see where it goes, especially since Letty isnt dead. Hangover has always performed well and it has a day head start but by the comments on this site, doesnt seem like to many people are pumped for it. I am seeing both. Whoever wins its going to be a great movie weekend regardless. too bad nothing worth a damn comes out until June12-14th

1 year agoby @superman81Flag

10. Sean

@corey Oh, I didn't know that about the first movie, that it made more then Star Trek Into Darkness so far, and that it was never in 3D in the theaters.

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

11. Corey W.

@themoviefanatic Not just that, but I don't think Star Trek poses a threat to Fast Six or Hangover 3. It only made 70 mil. For this movie, that's pretty disappointing. This movie made less than Star Trek 1 and that movie was never in 3D.

Into Darkness will probably get third this coming weekend, with about 40 million. Fast Six will probably make around 75 Million, with Hangover Part III taking in about 90 Million. That's my prediction, based mostly off numbers from Hangover 2 and Fast Five.

1 year agoby @coreyFlag

12. Sean

@corey That could be possible meaning what you said, because of the fact that they will just be coming out, and Star Trek Into Darkness will have already been in theaters for a week.

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

13. Corey W.

@themoviefanatic I don't know. But just by looking at the numbers Hangover Part II and Fast Five made, Fast Six and Hangover Part III will do a lot better.

1 year agoby @coreyFlag

14. Sean

@corey How much do you think Star Trek Into Darkness will have made by the end of its theatrical run in theaters ?

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

15. Corey W.

@superman81 Personally I think Hangover 3 will make more than FF6. Looking at the numbers from both movies previous films, Hangover Part 2 made over 100 Million and Fast Five made about 80 Million the weekend they came out. It'll be a good battle between the two, but in the end, I think Hangover 3 will win. But like I said, it could go either way.

1 year agoby @coreyFlag

16. Corey W.

@themoviefanatic That's a joke. With FF6 and Hangover Part 3 coming out? No way. When Fast Five came out it made 83 Million it's first weekend. That's more than what Into Darkness made it's first weekend and Fast Five was never in 3D either. Hangover 2 also made 105 Million it's first weekend, and didn't have 3D OR Imax to back it up either. Into Darkness only made 70 Million with BOTH 3D and IMAX.

Fast Six and Hangover 3 will top the box-office this weekend and will both make more than what Star Trek made it's first weekend.

1 year agoby @coreyFlag

17. Sean

@stefanos It will probably be Star Trek Into Darkness that will be at #1 this coming weekend.

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

18. Stefanos

@superman81@themoviefanatic The FF6 will never having 100m in the weekend,and I want to make a deal,you believe @superman81 ,I do not,so will find it,in this weekend,who is the winner.! :)

1 year agoby @stefanosFlag

19. Sean

@superman81 Oh, I was hoping that Star Trek Into Darkness and Iron Man 3 could stay in the top 2 spots a bit longer, but I guess that is not going to happen :( .

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

20. Superman81

@themoviefanatic oh yeah! I see FF6 having a 100m weekend or more. I also think Hangover will make around 65m

1 year agoby @superman81Flag

21. JonSpidey07

good turnout
    'Star Trek Into Darkness' is my #1 film of 2013 :)
    let's see how everything else turns out

1 year agoby @jonspidey07Flag

22. Sean

@superman81 So you think that Fast 6 and Hangover 3 will take the top two spots from Star Trek Into Darkness and Iron Man 3?

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

23. CoreyB

I saw Star Trek Into Darkness on Friday in Imax. It was a 2:30 pm show (my wife and I both had work off.) I was surprised because it was nearly a sold out show. We thought it would be dead due to the time. Anyway, we both thought it was really good! I might give the 2009 entry a tiny bit more in terms of which one was better, but needless to say, this was a great sequel! JJ is very talented and we should be excited with what he has in store for us...(Star Wars ne1???) This movie will finish around the same as the first. I was expecting around 80 million but whatever.

1 year agoby @CoreyBFlag

24. Superman81

@themoviefanatic I doubt ST or IM3 will be in the top 1 and 2 spots next weekend. Fast 6 should have the #1 spot no doubt and I am sure Hangover 3 will take #2

1 year agoby @superman81Flag

25. Hideki Ryuga

@the Dude1
    I share your sadness

1 year agoby @h-ryugaFlag

26. moviegeek

Too bad :( Hope it has legs.

1 year agoby @moviegeekFlag

27. Cartman

I liked everything in the movie but the climax, why do they wanna build so much and keep the story continued in the 3rd part?? Khan needs 2 parts is it??

1 year agoby @c-a-r-t-m-a-nFlag

28. Dark enV

I really hope Star Trek does what the first did and keeps some strong legs because it really deserves to perform well at the box office. Saw it saturday and I loved it. Abrams just keeps dishing out great films and I'm so excited for the Star Wars Episode VII as well as Star Trek 3. With Fast and Furious 6 and Hangover Part III coming out next week, it's going to be hard for Star Trek to continue doing well, but with continuous word of mouth I think it can hold on to a top 5 spot for a good couple weeks and make up some of the shortcomings from this week.

1 year agoby @dark-envFlag