BOX OFFICE BEAT DOWN: 'Real Steel' Takes $16.3 Million

'Footloose' takes second place with $16.1 million, while 'The Thing' debuts in a distant third place with $8.7 million.

WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

Sources: Box Office Mojo

1. Ghostman

I was against the Paranormal Activity films too, but once I saw them one night when I rented the movies, I thought they were pretty good and I like them a lot. I just only wish it won't become another never ending franchise. @thedude1

3 years agoby @ghostmanFlag

2. TheDude1

@ghostman I think if it opens with just about 20 million dollars and and fails to make 50 million domestically any chance of a sequel is dead at least for a for year which is all I really want. I am so sick of see these movies advertised all over the place.

3 years agoby @thedude1Flag

3. Ghostman

@moviegeek Thanks for clearing that up :) their's so many damn movies coming out the next two wks it's hard to keep track. Plus, I kept thinking PA3 was coming out the same week thinking October 28th, since I'm so use to a Saw movie coming out that same weekend :/

3 years agoby @ghostmanFlag

4. moviegeek

@ghostman the movies open a week apart actually.

3 years agoby @moviegeekFlag

5. Ghostman

Well @thedude1 unless some bizarre box office curse is set upon PA3 in order for it to bomb, it has to earn less than it's budget of 3 million dollars. That's going to be surprisingly low for a movie who's second movie opened at number one with 40mil. I'm sure it'll earn big bucks, it already has an 83% on the RT meter. But I'm not sure where the hell the series could go after this. Hopefully, this will wrap everything up and be the last.

3 years agoby @ghostmanFlag

6. TheDude1

@ghostman I am just hoping it will bomb. I know it really can't with the low budgets the movies have but a lower box office than normal would hopefully end this awful series.

3 years agoby @thedude1Flag

7. Ghostman

@thedude1 I highly doubt PA3 will bomb. The last two opened at number 1 and have grossed over 150million domestically each.

@moviegeek PA3, and Puss in Boots both open next weekend, it might be a close one...

3 years agoby @ghostmanFlag

8. ROFLitschristian

Womp, womp, wooooooomp.

3 years agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

9. MovieManiac

Nice to see that Footloose is doing pretty decent.

3 years agoby @moviemaniac66Flag

10. RingWraither

F*ck footloose!! :/

3 years agoby @ringwraitherFlag

11. moviegeek

@dan1@thedude1 I could at least see them taking a break for a year or two. Obviously you two think otherwise ;) :P

3 years agoby @moviegeekFlag

@moviegeek Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha..... End the PA series after the 3rd one? Stop fooling yourself, man. All they have to do is apply the same minimalist concept to another couple or person, and keep it going.

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

13. TheDude1

@moviegeek It would make sense to end it with a trilogy but we are talking about Paramount here. The same company that made 8 Friday the 13th movies in 9 years back in the 80s.

3 years agoby @thedude1Flag

14. moviegeek

@thedude1 Well $30 won't be a tank :P Aren't they ending the PA movies after the 3rd one anyways? I mean, they've gone as far back into the movies' histories as they can now.

3 years agoby @moviegeekFlag

15. TheDude1

@moviegeek God I hope you are right. I hope PA3 tanks as much as possible and they end that terrible series.

3 years agoby @thedude1Flag

16. TheDude1

Glad Footloose tank and its second and third days and didn't win the weekend. The Thing was not as good as the John Carpenter movie but it was enjoyable. 3.5/5 for sure.

3 years agoby @thedude1Flag

17. moviegeek

Yikes. The Big Year did a bellyflop.

I'm predicting PA3 won't be able to match the $40mil of last years PA2, but maybe in the lower $30s.

3 years agoby @moviegeekFlag

18. slysnide

@corey: I don't know why, but it takes a long time to upload videos on youtube on my end. Granted a helluva lot faster than it was on my PC (like 2hrs for the TDK trailer), it's still slow for watching films.

3 years agoby @slysnideFlag

19. Corey W.

@slysnide Stream it on Youtube :P That's what I'm doing lol

Good to know. I think the original will help refresh a lot. Watching the prequel I wasn't too into the story, just the kills and loud noises.

Still gonna attempt at reviewing it by tomorrow though, of course!

3 years agoby @coreyFlag

20. slysnide

@corey: Nah, you've pretty much seen all of it. My buddy borrowed the original two months or so ago, but hasn't been back since Labor Day from his CSU when he usually be back every other weekend, so I may not see it again till Thanksgiving or Xmas, which sucks cuz I'm really in the mood to watch it right now.

3 years agoby @slysnideFlag

21. Corey W.

@slysnide I agree, I thought his death was a little forced. I actually wanted him to live or at least died in a better fashion than an earing that could have been done a little better. I really need to see the film in full and the original once again to really get a good conversation going. The only thing I can really say now from what I've seen is "Oh, that death looked kind of cool". I'll have to watch the original tomorrow night to sink in everything once again...then maybe see if the prequel gets up online and watch what I've missed. I still kind of feel like I haven't seen the movie, even though I've pretty much seen a chunk of it.

3 years agoby @coreyFlag

22. ChiRep_1

Well deserved.

3 years agoby @ChiRep-1Flag

23. slysnide

@corey: I had a problem with that given the unanswered questions going into it, like what happened to Lars and the guy in the radio room (off screen suicide--didn't work as I was constantly wondering when he'd pop back up). It would've worked better if those questions were answered before as I was left going "wtf?" Although the way the thing bursts out of the block of ice was f*cking scary. I totally didn't see it coming. If you look at the thawed block from the original, it appears as if they cut it out, but they didn't. Furthermore, if the thing left the ship in the first place, then why? It didn't need to acquire anything to restart the ship. Granted after 100K years frozen in ice you may say "f*ck what's on the other side of the mountain" but it would still have been nice if the thing was more intelligent, as it was smart enough to crash the chopper before it landed back at the hostile base. But I really hate how they ended the Sam character at the end in the plow. They didn't make it noticeable that he was missing his earring, so there was only her word for it. It was noticeable enough in the beginning, but not enough to the point where we could have legitimately wondered if he was the thing in the climax.

3 years agoby @slysnideFlag

24. Corey W.

@slysnide Damn...it sounds like I missed the better half of the film. All I got was the death after death and a bunch of loud noises. Still enough for me to like the movie, but I may have liked it more if I saw all of that. I loved the way they ended it though with the credits. Very clever.

3 years agoby @coreyFlag

25. slysnide

@corey: Okay, so she was recruited, taken to the base, then shown the saucer under the ice. The thing was found frozen nearby in that giant rectangular prism that the americans found missing in the original. They cut it out and take it back to base in that shack where they found it partly thawed from the original. Then Dr. Sandoval or whatever his name is took a tissue sample before thawing it against Kate's advice. He quipped at her for that outside away from the others, showing he was a control freak. While celebrating that night, the thing suddenly bursts out of the block of ice effortlessly and hides outside under a shack. A search party is organized, and Henrik is grabbed by tentacles and yanked under the shed. When the others hear the screams, they shine a flashlight and see him getting dragged into the maw of the thing's vertical jaws as it tries to digest him alive. Flamethrowers ignite, and they think they killed it. After a brief shock and mourning, they take the thing's corpse back for autopsy and discover a titanium rod from Henrik's arm in the thing's chest, from the real Henrik, even though his arm still appears intact--they were looking at the first stage of a partial replication. Kate & Sam (Joel Edgerton) become friendly, and Sam decides to leave in the morning with Derek and two other guys, one being the thing, and the other Henrik's search party partner who was mortified from seeing Henrik snatched, having gone almost catatonic. Then there was a brief scene of Kate staring at the stars from her window saying she'd never see them the same way again, then the morning comes when you walked in on her making that discovery as the chopper takes off. The best scare had to be the thing leaping out of the solid block of ice. Check that, it was the only scare. :P Though I did like how that guy's arm randomly changed into the slug thing. It was unexpected, though not 'scare worthy.' :P

3 years agoby @slysnideFlag

26. CelluloidDreams

...Nothing reall new opened at the boxoffice this weekend...only a prequel and a remake!

...Nothing exciting next weekend either ....but "Finally" on Oct 28th both "Anonymous" and "Puss in Boots" opens..

I will be seeing "Ides of March" this week....

3 years agoby @2movieguysFlag

27. Corey W.

@slysnide I believe it was when Kate and the blonde-hair guy from Fired Up discover that the alien is replicating people's cells. Right around blood being covered in the shower.

If I missed a lot...it was a damn easy movie to get into, lol.

3 years agoby @coreyFlag

28. slysnide

@corey: Which scene did you walk in on? Or what was happening when you walked in?

3 years agoby @slysnideFlag

29. Corey W.

@slysnide I actually got around to the movie today. Only saw first ten minutes of it Friday, then walked into it today missing the first thirty. There is still 20 goddamn minutes of the film I haven't seen. lol

3 years agoby @coreyFlag

30. slysnide

@corey: Yeah you're probably right.

3 years agoby @slysnideFlag