BOX OFFICE BEAT DOWN: 'Paranormal Activity' Frightens Away the Competition with $22 Million

Paramount's low-budget supernatural scare-fest shreds leading mutilator of Halloween fare.

Weekend Box Office

1) Paranormal Activity - $22 million
2) Saw VI - $14.8 million
3) Where the Wild Things Are - $14.4 million
4) Law Abiding Citizen - $12.7 million
5) Couples Retreat - $11 million
6) Astro Boy - $7 million
7) The Stepfather - $6.5 million
8) Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant - $6.3 million
9) Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs - $5.6 million
10) Zombieland - $4.3 million

With over a thousand new screens added this week Paranormal Activity was able to scare all the other films out of the top spot with an impressive $22 million. The film, which is now in a little under 2,000 theaters made an estimated $11,311 per screen making it's total gross nearly $62.5 Million; which isn't bad for a film that only cost $15 thousand to make. Saw VI comes shy of reaching number one this week with an estimated $14.8 million on roughly 3000 screens making an average of $4,875 per screen.

The rest of the top five this week resembles the top three spots from last week's list. Spike Jonze's adaptation of the classic children's book Where the Wild Things Are came in at number three with 14.4 million, the Jamie Foxx/Gerard Butler thriller Law Abiding Citizen scored an $12.7 million for forth place and Couples Retreat rounded out the top five adding another $11 million to it's total box office take, making back it's entire production budget.

This weekend saw the release of two different films adatated from popular kid's properties and neither faired well at the box office. The long-awaited adaptation of the much beloved Japanese Manga series, Astro Boy, disapointed by fighting to only make a little over $7 Million, while the latest teen-vampire series of books to be brought to big screen, Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant, sucked something this weekend and it wasn't blood by only making a less than stellar $6.3 million.

Two other new films made some waves in limited release this weekend as well. The low-budget horror film Antichrist made an average of $12,250 per 6 screens to gross an impressive $73, 500 over the weekend. The other big winner in limited release this week was Fox Searchlight's female aviator Biopic, Amelia, which soared to succsess with $4,921 in 818 theaters racking up over $4 million so far on in it's box office flight.

Next weekend will see four new films enter into wide release with the incredibly anticipated Michael Jackson opus Michael Jackson's This Is It, the refreshing retro-horror film The House of the Devil, the action sequel Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day and from the creators of Napoleon Dynamite, Gentlemen Broncos. The Corbin Bernsen directed Dead Air and Turning Green starring Timmothy Hutton open in limited release. Check back in seven days to see who comes out on top at the box office next week.

Paranormal Activity was released September 25th, 2009 and stars Katie Featherston, Micah Sloat, Mark Fredrichs, Amber Armstrong, Ashley Palmer, Crystal Cartwright, Randy McDowell, James Piper. The film is directed by Oren Peli.

Saw VI was released October 23rd, 2009 and stars Tobin Bell, Costas Mandylor, Mark Rolston, Betsy Russell, Shawnee Smith, Peter Outerbridge, Athena Karkanis, Samantha Lemole. The film is directed by Kevin Greutert.

Sources: Box Office Mojo

1. 24

My name boob.

4 years agoby @newkiller1234Flag

2. Chad Vital

Lol messenger. Apparantly... well kind of. Just Newkill arguing with himself really.

4 years agoby @chad-vitalFlag

3. Xenon

Not a argument Messenger just a conversation.

4 years agoby @xenon56Flag

4. Messenger

Is this argument still going on?

4 years agoby @messengerFlag

5. Xenon

I've seen and read the Firm. LOTR same thing, but I hated reading the books since they were long winded but Loved the films.
    Did the same with Harry Potter, but I enjoyed both.

Bootleg films I can't stand, the camera keeps moving and can hear people talking. Normally I do ignore them, but I do watch some of them if I have more than enough interest.
    It depends also on who the director is, some of them have no clue how to direct.
    When I did see the firm I hated it, but loved the book. Eragon, and several other book to films just don't cut it.
    It seems certain directors only want to get paid for a lousy films.

4 years agoby @xenon56Flag

6. Newkill3000

Wow, you must have not seen a lot of films, because there's a lot more movies out here based on books.
    I never rent. I always buy. If i'm not sure, I'll watch it free online.

4 years agoby @newkill200Flag

7. Xenon

I usually buy films but find out there lame later on. I used to rent first, looks like I need to do that again.
    Two reasons why I don't watch book to film, lack of interest and how it translates to film.

4 years agoby @xenon56Flag

8. Newkill3000

Todd, I'll only attack, if i'm mentioned in a negative light. So, keep with the positive with me and we'll be fine.
    In regards to Vampire's Assistant, it's basically what you think it is, entertaining but a little lame. If it wasn't for C.Reilly, I probably would've hated this movie. But it's definitely something to check out on DVD instead of going to the movies.

4 years agoby @newkill200Flag

9. Xenon

Some of these films looks good, the Vampire's Assistant looks a bit Lame but entertaining.
    I might see it when it's out on DVD.
    Some of these horror films are looking really lame lately. I think I might have to watch my own collection for now on, and rent old horror films.
    I might do the same with Zombieland.

I'll talk to you about film's Newkill, but if your going to attack me I won't respond and if I do it'll be about films.
    We have more than enough back stabbing in our world, and way too much hate.

4 years agoby @xenon56Flag

10. Newkill3000

Hey, Todd, I wanna play a game. Give me attention, you stupid moron. Nough said.

4 years agoby @newkill200Flag

11. Xenon

Settle down Chad, just ignore him. He does this to get people like you or I to explode, it gives Newkill a high. That and it gives him the power to control anyone that sees differently.
    I stopped playing his game long ago.

4 years agoby @xenon56Flag

12. Newkill3000

You attack stupid people? Well, I guess that's why you attack your own dumbass with these dull ass comments, lol. Nough said.

4 years agoby @newkill200Flag

13. Chad Vital

I attack stupid people for being stupid. I don't attack people who are intelligent. It's just what I do man. It may sound weird, but stupidity is plaguing our world, I mean for f*ck sake, we need a sign telling us coffee is hot! Dur lol.

4 years agoby @chad-vitalFlag

14. Newkill3000

Thank you Chad, for proving my point of you trying to show that you wanna have a decent conversation, but your too f*cking stupid to do that so you try to attack people. Go f*ck your mother.

4 years agoby @newkill200Flag

15. Chad Vital

If you are stumped on your response, I believe that Comrade is an English teacher, so you can always ask him for help too. :)

4 years agoby @chad-vitalFlag

16. Chad Vital

Btw Newkill, I complimented you and then made fun of you in the same post. At least I can be smart when I want to be, you just sound like some pissed off computer geek always, literally always talking sh*t to somebody. Don't try to play the whole 'I have nothing better to do' card on me, considering you're on here just as much you idiot lol. You never make sense. You contradict the things you say, and then make fun of somebody who is smarter than you because you aren't intelligent enough to say anything that doesn't have the word "dick", "c*ck", "f*g" in it. Those are your f*cking three words. Maybe you should pick up a thesaurus eh? I know there are a bunch of free ones online so what's stopping you sport? You like being the most annoying, hated person on a website or something? It sure seems like it.

4 years agoby @chad-vitalFlag

17. Chad Vital

Newkill, if I'm stupid, then you are absolutely nothing. You must be one of those computer response robots like on AIM that never make sense lol.

Person on AIM who got a IM from Newkill- "Who is this?"

Newkill- "Would you like to visit my site...shh don't tell anyone about it, this is our little secret (url)".

4 years agoby @chad-vitalFlag

18. Xenon

I've seen the Trailer but it looks so make up. Ghosts, vampires, werewolves, anything supernatural doesn't scare me except for one thing. I"m afraid of clowns, and I hate Dogs.
    Please... Dogs drool, Cat's rule.

4 years agoby @xenon56Flag

19. Messenger

I'm back again....=(

I'll probably catch Astro on the dvd.

4 years agoby @messengerFlag

20. Newkill3000

lol, No, Messenger, that was just a figment of your imagination.

4 years agoby @newkill200Flag

21. Diaigma

My money went to Astro Boy. Hey. Someone had to see it. :P

4 years agoby @diaigmaFlag

22. Messenger

LOL, Did someone mention my name? =P

4 years agoby @messengerFlag

23. Newkill3000

Hey, bounded, sorry to tell you this but me and your mother had a special olympics of our own.

4 years agoby @newkill200Flag

24. bounded

Newkill and halo, it's like you guys are competing in the special olympics, even though one will win, you both still are RETARDS!!!

4 years agoby @boundedFlag

25. Newkill3000

I pay Messenger no mind. He's just as annoying as Beetlejuice. Don't mention him and he'll go away.

4 years agoby @newkill200Flag

26. Newkill3000

Well, since you stated that it was going to go direct to dvd or syfy, you couldn't me nothing else but that it wouldn't, dumbass. If it does, go direct to dvd, at least you'll stop bitching about.

4 years agoby @newkill200Flag

27. Messenger

You guys make me chuckle.

4 years agoby @messengerFlag

28. halo_wars360

I didnt say it would dumbass. I said it deserves to be sent to straight to dvd. That way you and your piece of sh*t obsession of a piece of sh*t franchise can quit bitching about how it gets beat at the box office every year now.

4 years agoby @halo-wars360Flag

29. Newkill3000

Talk about Saw all you want, halo. Saw VI's production budget is 11 million. Right now Saw VI grossed about 14 million. So, the gross amount is over 11 mil. By the time Saw goes away, it'll make around 20 mil and that's still enough to make Saw VII and it won't go direct to dvd or syfy. Sorry to tell you this.

4 years agoby @newkill200Flag

30. halo_wars360

Look we all agree newkill talks out his ass but lets not forget why we are all having this big discussion. Paranormal easily beat Saw! Hype or no hype it put a nail in the coffin that is the saw franchise. For three years now saw has had a decline in box office sales because people are fed up with. saw should be straight to dvd or a syfy original movie and thats it.

4 years agoby @halo-wars360Flag