BOX OFFICE BEAT DOWN: 'Oblivion' Wins Big with $38.1 Million

'42' finishes in second place with $18 million, while the animated comedy 'The Croods' takes third place with $9.5 million

WEEKEND BOX OFFICE:

@ghostman oh no wonder

12 months agoby @undeadslayer4Flag

4. Ghostman

@undeadslayer4 Since 2005.

12 months agoby @ghostmanFlag

5. TheDude1

@therealGoku I'm somewhat of a Zombie fan as well. Although I had a sour taste in my mouth after Halloween 2. This movie was just bizarre in a bad way. Plot was boring and uninteresting. Not to mention yet again he forgets that his wife cannot act at all.

12 months agoby @thedude1Flag

6. undeadslayer4

screw u boxoffice

12 months agoby @undeadslayer4Flag

7. undeadslayer4

@CoreyB at least u didnt insult Obilvion like @jonspidey07 just did
    @ghostman he was in war of the worlds since when
    @moviegeek it is pronounced ghost protocol

12 months agoby @undeadslayer4Flag

8. Ghostman

@moviegeek Tom Cruise's largest movie opening was for War of the Worlds with 64 million dollars. But you're right, it is his second best outside of the M:I Franchise.

12 months agoby @ghostmanFlag

9. The Real Goku

@thedude1 how so? What was wrong with it? I like Rob Zombie but this movie looked way too creepy for me lol

12 months agoby @therealGokuFlag

10. CoreyB

After a horrible week here in Boston, MA, I took a nice break to go see Oblivion in Imax. I was surprisingly pleased! I really liked the movie and the scope. Tom Cruise is great and the special effects should be seen on the big screen! M83 did the score I believe and it didnt dissapoint! Cool original movie and you can only hope Kosinski keeps improving. (Improvement over Tron:Legacy)

12 months agoby @CoreyBFlag

11. JonSpidey07

I was disappointed in 'Oblivion'
    it should have been better and not put me to sleep at the beginning
    but I am hella excited for the next 2 weeks when 'Iron Man 3' finally opens :)

12 months agoby @jonspidey07Flag

12. John M

A good start for Oblivion. It made 38 million which was the upper end of estimates. Plus it's already made back it's budget thanks to overseas markets, and it has only been out for two weeks overseas just opened here in the US.

12 months agoby @john-mFlag

13. The Cryptkeeper: Resurrected

Was Lords of Salem a limited release or just flop miserably and not make it to the top 10?

12 months agoby @cryptFlag

14. Daveactor7

I blame the editing of Oblivion and the script. Michael Arndt the man who will helm Star Wars episode 7 helped write it....good lord....I enjoyed the film mostly thanks to Tom Cruise's performance, the visuals and the music.

12 months agoby @daveactor7Flag

15. moviegeek

@superman81 That's the second best opening Tom Cruise has had outside of Mission: Impossible! It's a win, for sure.

And these grosses listed as still the old predictions.

12 months agoby @moviegeekFlag

16. T. King (Red Camera Man)

I got dragged by my family to see "Scary Movie 5" instead (which was a complete waste of time), but don't worry, I'll still make up the time to see "Oblivion" sometime.

12 months agoby @redcameramanFlag

17. TheDude1

Lords of Salem was downright terrible. Should have just seen Oblivion.

12 months agoby @thedude1Flag

18. bruce_ha

The movie was absolutely brilliant!

Loved every minute.

12 months agoby @bruce-haFlag

19. CelluloidDreams

"Oblivion" was ok!! Very existential and clich&#233d! My Rating: C+!

12 months agoby @2movieguysFlag

20. Superman81

Sucks it only made 38 million. Not a good start but it is doing great over seas.

12 months agoby @superman81Flag

21. Sean

@dark-env I might see it theaters some day then, before it is taken out of theaters.

12 months agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

22. Stefanos

Oblivion was good,nice score,nice cgi,nice story,nice directing but I believe,that I want more,situations mixing,in the film,really you make you think sometimes in the film what is going on,but I like that,and I want more,if he will make part 2,I going to see it...

12 months agoby @stefanosFlag

23. Dark enV

@themoviefanatic yeah I think so, if anything you'll be amazed by the spectacle, the visual representation of the film is really something that will make your jaw drop. That alone makes it worth seeing once in my mind

12 months agoby @dark-envFlag

24. Sean

@dark-env Would you say its a good enough movie for anyone to see, even if they are not really a fan of Tom Cruise?

12 months agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

Oblivion is better than that 58%. I'd put it more like 75-80%.

12 months agoby @dan1Flag

26. moviegeek

I don't think Oblivion came together fully like it could have. It was a neat concept and gorgeously shot. Glad I saw it, but it was forgettable in the long run.

12 months agoby @moviegeekFlag

I also predicted it would make 150 worldwide :))

12 months agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

28. Dark enV

I enjoyed Oblivion, though it takes plot elements from like 11 other sci-fi films and blends them together it still was a fun entertaining visual treat worth seeing on the big screen

12 months agoby @dark-envFlag