BOX OFFICE BEAT DOWN: 'Oblivion' Wins Big with $38.1 Million

'42' finishes in second place with $18 million, while the animated comedy 'The Croods' takes third place with $9.5 million

WEEKEND BOX OFFICE:

Sources: Box Office Mojo

1. undeadslayer4

@moviegeek wasnt MI 4 was more successful than the last three

1 year agoby @undeadslayer4Flag

2. Ghostman

@undeadslayer4 Since 2005.

1 year agoby @ghostmanFlag

3. TheDude1

@therealGoku I'm somewhat of a Zombie fan as well. Although I had a sour taste in my mouth after Halloween 2. This movie was just bizarre in a bad way. Plot was boring and uninteresting. Not to mention yet again he forgets that his wife cannot act at all.

1 year agoby @thedude1Flag

4. undeadslayer4

screw u boxoffice

1 year agoby @undeadslayer4Flag

5. undeadslayer4

@CoreyB at least u didnt insult Obilvion like @jonspidey07 just did
    @ghostman he was in war of the worlds since when
    @moviegeek it is pronounced ghost protocol

1 year agoby @undeadslayer4Flag

6. Ghostman

@moviegeek Tom Cruise's largest movie opening was for War of the Worlds with 64 million dollars. But you're right, it is his second best outside of the M:I Franchise.

1 year agoby @ghostmanFlag

7. The Real Goku

@thedude1 how so? What was wrong with it? I like Rob Zombie but this movie looked way too creepy for me lol

1 year agoby @therealGokuFlag

8. CoreyB

After a horrible week here in Boston, MA, I took a nice break to go see Oblivion in Imax. I was surprisingly pleased! I really liked the movie and the scope. Tom Cruise is great and the special effects should be seen on the big screen! M83 did the score I believe and it didnt dissapoint! Cool original movie and you can only hope Kosinski keeps improving. (Improvement over Tron:Legacy)

1 year agoby @CoreyBFlag

9. JonSpidey07

I was disappointed in 'Oblivion'
    it should have been better and not put me to sleep at the beginning
    but I am hella excited for the next 2 weeks when 'Iron Man 3' finally opens :)

1 year agoby @jonspidey07Flag

10. John M

A good start for Oblivion. It made 38 million which was the upper end of estimates. Plus it's already made back it's budget thanks to overseas markets, and it has only been out for two weeks overseas just opened here in the US.

1 year agoby @john-mFlag

11. The Cryptkeeper: Resurrected

Was Lords of Salem a limited release or just flop miserably and not make it to the top 10?

1 year agoby @cryptFlag

12. Daveactor7

I blame the editing of Oblivion and the script. Michael Arndt the man who will helm Star Wars episode 7 helped write it....good lord....I enjoyed the film mostly thanks to Tom Cruise's performance, the visuals and the music.

1 year agoby @daveactor7Flag

13. moviegeek

@superman81 That's the second best opening Tom Cruise has had outside of Mission: Impossible! It's a win, for sure.

And these grosses listed as still the old predictions.

1 year agoby @moviegeekFlag

14. T. King (Red Camera Man)

I got dragged by my family to see "Scary Movie 5" instead (which was a complete waste of time), but don't worry, I'll still make up the time to see "Oblivion" sometime.

1 year agoby @redcameramanFlag

15. TheDude1

Lords of Salem was downright terrible. Should have just seen Oblivion.

1 year agoby @thedude1Flag

16. bruce_ha

The movie was absolutely brilliant!

Loved every minute.

1 year agoby @bruce-haFlag

17. CelluloidDreams

"Oblivion" was ok!! Very existential and clich&#233d! My Rating: C+!

1 year agoby @2movieguysFlag

18. Superman81

Sucks it only made 38 million. Not a good start but it is doing great over seas.

1 year agoby @superman81Flag

19. Sean

@dark-env I might see it theaters some day then, before it is taken out of theaters.

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

20. Stefanos

Oblivion was good,nice score,nice cgi,nice story,nice directing but I believe,that I want more,situations mixing,in the film,really you make you think sometimes in the film what is going on,but I like that,and I want more,if he will make part 2,I going to see it...

1 year agoby @stefanosFlag

21. Dark enV

@themoviefanatic yeah I think so, if anything you'll be amazed by the spectacle, the visual representation of the film is really something that will make your jaw drop. That alone makes it worth seeing once in my mind

1 year agoby @dark-envFlag

22. Sean

@dark-env Would you say its a good enough movie for anyone to see, even if they are not really a fan of Tom Cruise?

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

Oblivion is better than that 58%. I'd put it more like 75-80%.

1 year agoby @dan1Flag

24. moviegeek

I don't think Oblivion came together fully like it could have. It was a neat concept and gorgeously shot. Glad I saw it, but it was forgettable in the long run.

1 year agoby @moviegeekFlag

I also predicted it would make 150 worldwide :))

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

26. Dark enV

I enjoyed Oblivion, though it takes plot elements from like 11 other sci-fi films and blends them together it still was a fun entertaining visual treat worth seeing on the big screen

1 year agoby @dark-envFlag