Box Office Beat Down: 'Iron Man' Stays on Top with $50 Million!

'Speed Racer' sputters into second place with $20 million.

Weekend Box Office

1)Iron Man $50.5 million

2)Speed Racer $20.2 million

3)What Happens in Vegas $20 million

4)Made of Honor $7.6 million

5)Baby Mama $5.7 million

6)Forgetting Sarah Marshall $3.7 Million

7)Harold and Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay $3.1 million

8)Forbidden Kingdom $1.9 million

9)Nim's Island $1.3 Million

10) Redbelt $1.1 million

Iron Man lived up to its hearty hype, staying in the top spot for a second weekend in a row. The Jon Favreau directed comic book epic took in an estimated $50.5 million. That brings this Robert Downey Jr. career kicker into true blockbuster status. Its accumulated grosses rest at $177 million, with certainly more money to come in the following weeks.

Warner Brothers' tentpole summer action flick Speed Racer did not fare quite as well. It debuted in the second place spot with a very weak $20.2 million. That was barely enough to fight off the weekend's only other major release. The Ashton Kutcher/Cameron Diaz bromantic comedy was right on Speed Racer's bumper with $20 million in third place.

Things were shaking on the indie side of things. The Fall took in a healthy $80,200 on just nine screens. While Before the Rains nabbed $52,300 on a mere eight screens.

Will Iron Man be able to go for the three-peat next weekend? Tony Stark will be going up against Disney heavyweight The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian, which is Iron Man's only real competition.

Iron Man was released May 2nd, 2008 and stars Robert Downey Jr., Terrence Howard, Jeff Bridges, Gwyneth Paltrow, Leslie Bibb, Shaun Toub, Faran Tahir, Clark Gregg. The film is directed by Jon Favreau.

Sources: Box Office Mojo

1. CelluloidDreams

I saw "Red Belt" this weekend to "sirmetro" which was directed by David Mamet! "Red Belt" was crappy! With a Capital "C"! Another film I will put on my "Worst Films of 2008" list! "Red Belt" gets a rating of: D-

"Speed Racer" A+!

I agree W./the critic who stated that "Speed Racer" was "A sugar rush of pop art, op art and pure pop for car people, Speed Racer offers a crazy, turbo-charged mix of cartoon kitsch, gamer action, and a wild new way to think of - and look at - movies."

I loved both "Iron Man" & "Speed Racer"! So far 2 Summer Movies down, & both were really really good! Not a dollar so far wasted!

"Speed Racer" will go on to become a cult classic!

6 years agoby @2movieguysFlag

2. JR

i think speed came out second because it was on a mothers day weekend

6 years agoby @juan213Flag

3. Marcusx

lol f*ck you guys i still wana see speed racer haha

6 years agoby @marcusxFlag

4. sirmetro

Its dissappointing though that speed racer is @ second place but has only 20mil.WTF

6 years agoby @sirmetroFlag

5. sirmetro

speed racer @ number 2...yeah baby,yeah

6 years agoby @sirmetroFlag

6. sirmetro

I told 'em not to shoot Redbelt while it was still in the pipeline but did they listen?And see what happens if they don't wanna listen to us,the ones who they make the movies for.

6 years agoby @sirmetroFlag

7. Phatlightning

yea, there not even gonna tap half of their budget. and it doesnt matter if you WANT prince caspian to be number 1, i just think there are still a bunch of people who havnt seen iron man yet and that the number will still be amazing. The reviews are basically c*ck blocking every other film.

6 years agoby @sxers2k1Flag

8. The Kwisatz Haderach

Im sorry Sped Racer was total trash, I was freakin bored out of my mind, think! I would have rather watched a season or two of Sex and the City than Speed Racer. What trash that was, yeah its was colorful and if I had a tab of LSD it would have been better but the film was crap, crap crap.

6 years agoby @the-kwisatz-haderachFlag

9. Marcusx

Gui insists on carrying conversations alone, very nice. i thiNk iron man will beat caspian too. my bet is caspian makes between 28-37 million opening and iron man between 40-43 mill 3rd week

6 years agoby @marcusxFlag

10. Structure (ONSTRA)

Even If Iron Man is that good. that movie is at his start, and Iron Man had been for 2 weeks in the N1. It is time for change. And I think that Prince caspian ins going to take the N1 and successfully.

6 years agoby @gaj1992Flag

11. Structure (ONSTRA)

i think Next week that Prince Caspian Is going to win the Number 1 hit Station.

6 years agoby @gaj1992Flag

12. Structure (ONSTRA)

I love that movie. I will Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Go watch it

6 years agoby @gaj1992Flag

13. Structure (ONSTRA)

iron Man Rocks

6 years agoby @gaj1992Flag

14. Phatlightning

lol 2nd week and it still pulls out 50 million... where are all the iron man haters?? Not poking up to make some sly comment that it was a fluke or just yuppies going 4 or 5 times? I bet Iron man will beat The Chronicles..

ugh cell, you are a sad man that continues making comments that pushes my thoughts of you closer and closer to pedophile.

6 years agoby @sxers2k1Flag

15. ed_wood

Speed Racer was a fun movie, but nothing can top Iron Man right now. Great movie.

6 years agoby @ed-woodFlag

16. Structure (ONSTRA)

I love the visual effects in narnia, I think it is going to be pretty good.

6 years agoby @gaj1992Flag

17. Structure (ONSTRA)

By the way I really can't wait to se Narnia, It pretty much Rock.

6 years agoby @gaj1992Flag

18. Structure (ONSTRA)

anyhow I wanted to watch it so badly but I think now that he did not even stand in front of Iron Man I would perfer to take myself and go watch Iron Man

6 years agoby @gaj1992Flag

19. Structure (ONSTRA)

I will change My mind about speed racer

6 years agoby @gaj1992Flag

20. Structure (ONSTRA)

Nice I like the results today.

6 years agoby @gaj1992Flag

21. CelluloidDreams

Like 1 critic stated about "Speed Racer" & I have to 100% agree.....From the opening graphics to the end closing credits the Wachowski's nailed everything that was good about "Speed Racer" and elevated it to the 10th level!!

"Speed Racer" rocked!

6 years agoby @2movieguysFlag

22. CelluloidDreams

"AndrewRyan" not to sure about "Hulk", even W./Edward Norton, I'm still not sold...but dman (Slaps forehead)..how in the hell could I forget "Hellboy 2"?? Damn!! That is on my list to! LOL!

6 years agoby @2movieguysFlag

23. Demonic

Iron man was insane im not surprised that it made so much.
    I cant belive speed racer was second that movie look so sh*t if u saw it ur a stupid basterd

6 years agoby @demonicFlag

24. CloudZeroX

I think that Iron Man will beat Narnia as well. But no suprise that it kicked Speed Racer's ass, movie looks horrible.

6 years agoby @cloudzeroxFlag

25. T.Clark

Cell, u forgot to mention incredible hulk and hellboy 2

6 years agoby @insertusernamehereFlag

26. T.Clark

Speed racer bombed!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! I'll laugh my ass off if iron man beats narnia. GO IRON MAN! lol

6 years agoby @insertusernamehereFlag

27. CelluloidDreams

Thus Summer is going to get hotter..alot hotter...alot beter 2008 Summer films than last year...most were just forgettable...but this summer..
    we still have "Indy 4", "Narmia", "Dark Knight", "Death Race" (Hello Jason Statham!) & "Hanc*ck" (Still not sold, but will see it!) to go!!!

6 years agoby @2movieguysFlag

28. Diaigma

Narnia will take number one spot next weekend. Speed Racer was good, but its target audience may not have saved enough coins in their piggy bank to see it this weekend. Jonesy will completely SHATTER all records for the year so far. I've never planned to spend so much money on summer movie tickets in my life!

6 years agoby @diaigmaFlag

29. RingWraither

I saw this coming. Speed Racer tanked and it'll be lucky if it even reaches the 50 million mark, but that's a huge if because next week we have Narnia coming up and it will definately rise up at #1. Speed Racer's numbers will go down at least 60% and then...no sequel for it. Over 100 million the budget was for Speed...good luck on getting it back!!

6 years agoby @ringwraitherFlag

30. CelluloidDreams

Congrats "Iron Man"! I saw it 2xs already!

I saw "Speed Racer" ....& I loved it!! Screw what the critics said!! It was a blast!! Finally this Sumemr of movies is a balst so far! I would give "Speed Racer" a A+!! It was everything a Summer Popcorn flick should be!

I always "Red Belt" directed by David Mamet, which was crappy! Another film I will put on my "Worst Films of 2008" list! THat film I would give a D-!

6 years agoby @2movieguysFlag