BOX OFFICE BEAT DOWN: 'Hotel Transylvania' Takes $43 Million

'Looper' takes second place with $21.2 million while 'Pitch Perfect' takes sixth place with $5.2 million.

WEEKEND BOX OFFICE:

Sources: Box Office Mojo

1. The Cryptkeeper: Resurrected

@john-m Sh*t dude, you got me again. Hm I wonder why I thought that, I guess I saw it somewhere wrong or something.

2 years agoby @cryptFlag

2. John M

@crypt: You must have not seen it yet, because believe me it's rated R. All you have to do is look on this site to find out.

2 years agoby @john-mFlag

3. The Cryptkeeper: Resurrected

@john-m You caught me there. Families will take the whole family to see Hotel, yet only one or two to a group to see Looper. Although I believe Looper is rated PG-13, not R, but I understand your point. I suppose I posted that comment out of anger towards most animated films in general, which are (often- not all the time) poorly produced because they can get away with a poor plot since little kids are too dumb to realize it. And also the humor in most children's movies are well... Childish. I cannot get into them at all. Wow, huge tangent so I'll stop now.

2 years agoby @cryptFlag

4. Diaigma

Good for HT (granted, I have friends who worked on it, so my bias is showing). I'll have a review up shortly ... eventually ... :P

2 years agoby @diaigmaFlag

5. THE JOKER

Everyone else has probably already said this, but I might as well do it too... I am angry that Resident Evil is still up on that list and Dredd is gone... This is why I hate people... I hope Blueray/DVD sales are through the roof for Dredd so that we can somehow get a sequel

2 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

6. Basquat

@corey Yes that's not gonna happen with these kind of numbers

2 years agoby @basquatFlag

7. John M

@crypt: It's got nothing to do with the quality of the film. It has to do with the rating. Tell me which film do you think families would go to? The obvious answer is a film that isn't rated R. That's the reason children's films almost always beat out adult films especially R rated ones because you can take the whole family which means a bigger box office. It has nothing to do with the intelligence of the audience or the quality of the film.

Though with films like Resident Evil keep getting made so I could be wrong about the intelligence of adults.

2 years agoby @john-mFlag

8. The Cryptkeeper: Resurrected

Too much for Hotel Transylvania... It's so simple and yet it beats a complex movie like Looper. Ugh. Damn simpletons.

2 years agoby @cryptFlag

@felipe-11 Huh, interesting. I'd like to see the Chinese version now.

2 years agoby @dan1Flag

10. Replicant

@thedude1@dan1@bawnian-dexeus Actually the Chinese distributor even asked the studio to re-incorporate some of the Shangai scenes (which were cut for time) for the chinese release to incentivate viewers there. It's a shame they didn't keep those scenes for the US version too, I would've loved to see more of that futuristic China...

@john-m True. Dredd already has cult classic written all over it, but I'm still hopeful... But hey, cheer up, at least we get another Resident Evil movie! [sarcasm, obviously]

2 years agoby @felipe-11Flag

11. TheDude1

@bawnian-dexeus Wow I never thought of that until now. Maybe Jeff Daniels is indeed from the future.

2 years agoby @thedude1Flag

@bawnian-dexeus Makes sense. They'd take pride in the main character finding solace in their country.

2 years agoby @dan1Flag

@dan1 Funny, how that one quote from Jeff Daniels about China and then, in the real world, it gives the movie a considerable boost.

@thedude1 That is pretty cool. China must be aggressively expanding its amount of theaters.

2 years agoby @dan1Flag

15. childofharlem

looper was great it was original

2 years agoby @childofharlemFlag

16. TheDude1

Big news everyone. Looper made between 23 and 25 million dollars this weekend in China. The first time ever an opening movie made more in China than in North America. Great news for Looper. Huge success.

2 years agoby @thedude1Flag

17. moviegeek

I wasn't aware anyone had an interest in this movie. Thank you America for keeping Adam Sandler's career alive. [sarcasm]

2 years agoby @moviegeekFlag

Sigh.

2 years agoby @dan1Flag

19. John M

It's great for Looper that is already doing well overseas. It sucks though that Dredd 3D had done so badly domestically. It's a good film. Hopefully it will do great overseas. That's the only way it will garner a sequel. Other wise people are going to have to live with Dredd being a cult classic which I believe it will become.

2 years agoby @john-mFlag

20. Corey W.

Safe to say you Dredd fans can say goodbye to the possibility of a sequel.

2 years agoby @coreyFlag

21. CUPID

Congrats to Hotel Transylvania, cant wait to see it.

2 years agoby @cupidFlag

22. Replicant

@basquat That's what pisses me off the most.

@the-movieghost Also true.

I still think it might make enough to not be a flop once it's released internationally.

2 years agoby @felipe-11Flag

23. Ghostman

In comparison, Total Recall did BETTER than Dredd 3D for it has a domestic total of 60 million and Dredd has earned 10 million so far.

2 years agoby @ghostmanFlag

24. JonSpidey07

I still say this turnout is way better than House at The End of the Street winning, Dredd deserves better though

2 years agoby @jonspidey07Flag

@thedude1 It should be enough

26. ROFLitschristian

Congrats to Looper. Hope to catch it soon.

2 years agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

27. the MovieGhost

@felipe-11 Blame the marketing/advertising. It was awful.

2 years agoby @the-movieghostFlag

28. TheDude1

Looper was great. Hopefully it has legs and can get close to 60 million domestically.

2 years agoby @thedude1Flag

29. ChiRep_1

I need to start contributing I see wayyy too many movies on that board that I'm dying to watch.

2 years agoby @ChiRep-1Flag