BOX OFFICE BEAT DOWN: 'Despicable Me 2' Wins with $82.5 Million

'The Lone Ranger' finishes in a distant second place with just $29.5 million, with 'The Heat' taking third place with $25 million.

HOLIDAY WEEKEND BOX OFFICE:

Sources: Box Office Mojo

1. Sean

@ghostman What about when its released in the rest of the countries, that it has yet to be released in? Maybe it will do better in some countries then in others?

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

2. Sean

@mr-k It might very well be doomed at the box office, but I don't agree that it is crap though.

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

@john-m@ghostman Probably won't break even

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

4. Mr.K

@themoviefanatic For the love of WIld Berry Pop-Tarts, just accept that The Lone Ranger is crap and that is doomed at the box-office.

1 year agoby @mr-kFlag

5. Ghostman

@john-m Sad, but very true.

@themoviefanatic Looking at the foreign box office numbers where it has been released in already, the film doesn't look to be doing well.

1 year agoby @ghostmanFlag

6. John M

@ghostman: Sean will defend The Long Ranger till the bitter end no matter how bad the is or how bad it is and definitely will at the box office. I don't think The Lone Ranger will be in the Top 10 at the box office next week, and I doubt the film will be out of the majority of theaters by mid-August if not earlier.

1 year agoby @john-mFlag

7. Sean

@ghostman Yes, It did bomb in the U.S. which i know that and i agree with you that it did. But we do have yet to find out how it will actually do in other countries. It's going to be interesting to find out how much it will have made worldwide at the end of its theatrical run in theaters.

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

8. Ghostman

@themoviefanatic Sean, it isn't going to make that much more money when it is released in other countries. Just face the fact that this movie bombed and was not the success you wanted it to be.

1 year agoby @ghostmanFlag

9. Sean

@ghostman Well, I know its only starting to be released in other countries other then in the U.S. , so I won't know how it will really turn out in other countries, until all the other countries that will be showing it in theaters will all be showing it. Once its theatrical run is finished in the U.S. and in other countries, then we will know how much is has made in its entire theatrical run everywhere.

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

10. Ghostman

@themoviefanatic Yeah....don't think that is happening:

Domestic: $71 million
    Foreign: $48 million
    Worldwide: $119 million.

Can you accept the fact that this movie is a failure?

1 year agoby @ghostmanFlag

11. Sean

@corey I think that once The Lone Ranger is released in all the countries that will be showing in theaters, it will do better then because it will be playing in more countries then just the U.S. . In fact, I just looked up The Lone Ranger's world wide release dates, and its starting to be released in several countries where it has a chance to increase its world wide box office numbers then what its already made in the U.S. .

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

12. Sean

@ghostman I think once it's released in all the countries that it as yet to be released in, its worldwide wide box office numbers foreign box office numbers will increase. It has not been released in all the countries that will be showing it in theaters.

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

@corey Where is that fuker anyways?

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

14. joelseph

@renodc I completely agree with your assessment. I am sure there is no hope at a sequel, but I would enjoy one with a new director. My favorite part of this movie was it's use of the William Tell Ovature. They used the new score music for most of the movie but the addition of the classic Lone Ranger theme came at the right times. Now, let get more believable action sequences that are more concise and I will be happy.

1 year agoby @joelsephFlag

15. Scruffnutz89

i know how to tell if your a man..... because you have a balllled head!!

1 year agoby @Scruffnutz89Flag

16. Diaigma

@mr-k@ghostman - one step ahead of you :P

@bawnian-dexeus - my thoughts exactly.

1 year agoby @diaigmaFlag

17. renodc

Saw Lone Ranger last night and it really wasn't all that bad. The first quarter and last quarter of the film are great. It's one flaw is the middle of the film which drags on a bit (a common problem with Verbinski) but not nearly as badly as Verbinski's last 2 Pirate films which had excruciating points in the middle where they just seemed as if they would never end.

1 year agoby @renodcFlag

18. Superman81

@ghostman actually I read the Minion movie comes out December 2014 unless they pushed it back in the last 3 days

1 year agoby @superman81Flag

19. Ghostman

@mr-k@diaigma The Minions Movie comes out in 2015. Chances are Desp*cable Me 3 won't be released until 2017.

1 year agoby @ghostmanFlag

20. Corey W.

Honestly...where do I begin?

Shall I begin with reminding @themoviefanatic of what he told me about a month ago?

...when he told me that NO ONE, and I repeat, NO ONE cared about Desp*cable Me 2 and that it wouldn't do that well compared to The Lone Ranger at the box-office...

Or should I start with bringing up the part where Sean told me that EVERYONE was looking forward to The Lone Ranger because it was from the DIRECTOR of Pirates. Hmmm....

Didn't I tell Sean The Lone Ranger would flop as badly as John Carter did...? Did I not say this?

Didn't I tell Sean that Desp*cable Me 2 would not only BEAT Lone Ranger at the box-office but it would DESTROY it?

Well....what do you have to say Sean? Will you tell me I was right all along and it was just your excitement and hype for Lone Ranger that made you believe it'd be a box-office hit?

Did you SERIOUSLY think DM2 would fail at the box-office against The Longer Ranger?

I just want to hear what you have to say now. Spill the beans, buddy boy. And don't tell me Pirates 5 will be Disney's big PG-13 comeback....

1 year agoby @coreyFlag

21. Mr.K

@bawnian-dexeus Of course it deserves to win. The movie was bloody hilarious.

1 year agoby @mr-kFlag

22. supermanvenom

@jonspidey07 Lone Ranger wasn't true to the show but was still entertaining to watch. Desp*cable me movies are awesome man.

1 year agoby @supermanvenomFlag

@mr-k@diaigma Either way, the franchise deserves it. I'm looking forward to where it goes. Though I'm hoping part 3 doesn't depend too much on the minions; my only major critique

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

24. JonSpidey07

my whole family especially my father is saddened they f*cked up 'The Lone Ranger'
    he really loves the character and Gore and Disney didn't care
    just as well, I was not interested to begin with

don't care for 'Desp*cable Me' movies either

the rest of the month hopefully will make amends

1 year agoby @jonspidey07Flag

25. Mr.K

@ghostman OH SNAP! The Lone Ranger is f*cked now.

@diaigma Actually, the spin-off will come first. So far, there is no quick announcement on a Desp*cable Me 3.

1 year agoby @mr-kFlag

26. Replicant

Hated The Lone Ranger, glad it bombed. John Carter made 30 million on its opening weekend and it was a better movie, so this should be around the same level of box office failure.

1 year agoby @felipe-11Flag

27. Diaigma

@ghostman@mr-k - I have a sinking feeling that a 3rd is coming :P

1 year agoby @diaigmaFlag

28. Ghostman

@diaigma@mr-k Nearly $300 million worldwide.

1 year agoby @ghostmanFlag

29. Mr.K

@diaigma O.O Damn, that's impressive.

1 year agoby @mr-kFlag