BOX OFFICE BEAT DOWN: 'Despicable Me 2' Wins Again with $44.7 Million

'Grown Ups 2' finishes in second place with $42.5 million, with 'Pacific Rim' taking third place with $38.3 million.

WEEKEND BOX OFFICE:

1. Sean

@c-a-r-t-m-a-n True, Yet, It doesn't surprise me that The Lone Ranger has done better then R.I.P.D , meaning domestically and world wide.

9 months agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

2. Cartman

@themoviefanatic RIPD is at 7th place with 12.7 million in its 1st week of release!! FLOP to the CORE just as I said!!!

9 months agoby @c-a-r-t-m-a-nFlag

3. TheDude1

@Celestialforthcoming For what its worth Turbo is tracking at 27 million for the weekend while The Conjuring is tracking at 30 million. On top of that The Conjuring is getting very good reviews so far. If that holds into Friday it may push its weekend total closer to 40 million.

9 months agoby @thedude1Flag

4. Celestialforthcoming

@thedude1 You're right. They do tend to do well at the box office but that is when there is that and some other movie opening on the same weekend- little competition. This weekend has about 4 movies that are big named coming this weekend. Two action and the other animated. Your previous thought on people maybe getting tired over animated films is something to be considered. Over saturation has been realized many times to be counter productive, especially in the movies. But I've been seeing positive remarks on turbo. Basically, considering all the movies coming out this weekend, it's a tough call to say which will be on top because everyone thinks that one movie or the other will win and they have the right to because none of them look terrible but entertaining. In this particular case, I think we can't say which will win in certainty because again, the tough competition.

9 months agoby @CelestialforthcomingFlag

5. artkid04

@therealGoku that does look interesting, though I heard that its not as good as drive, might check it out if the reviews get better, otherwise it's The Conjuring for me this weekend

9 months agoby @artkid04Flag

6. Mr.K

@redcameraman Blame moviegoers that support those kinds of horse-sh*t movies that have poop and piss jokes.

9 months agoby @mr-kFlag

7. T. King (Red Camera Man)

Wow. "Grown Ups 2" over "Pacific Rim?" This must be a joke.

9 months agoby @redcameramanFlag

8. JonSpidey07

than God 'Desp*cable Me 2' stopped 'Grown Ups 2', I was starting to get really worried because people can be very stupid paying to see a movie like that
    the 1st one was a prime example of leading to the dumbing of the world and the de-evolution of mankind

still, 'Pacific Rim' should have done better, that's something the public seriously needs to acknowledge more

9 months agoby @jonspidey07Flag

9. Sean

@c-a-r-t-m-a-n Yes, lets wait and see what happens with R.I.P.D .

9 months agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

10. Sean

@superman81 I hope R.I.P.D does better then Turbo, Red 2, Conjuring. Those 3 movies look terrible.

9 months agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

11. Sean

@superman81 Yeah, I want to give R.I.P.D a chance as well. I might and see it when its released to theaters.

9 months agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

12. Diaigma

No way! DM2 is 2 million away from outgrossing MU. Freak'n unheard of! :P

9 months agoby @diaigmaFlag

13. TheDude1

@superman81 Usually the vicotry would go right to the kids film however it is only tracking at about 28 million or so for the weekend. Those movies usually make 40 million plus opening weekend. Maybe the people are getting tired of taking their kids to the movies every week. Which in turn would help The Conjuring.

9 months agoby @thedude1Flag

14. Superman81

@thedude1 good prediction and you are correct about horror films. The Conjuring actually looks pretty good. But I still dont see it beating a kids film in Turbo.

9 months agoby @superman81Flag

15. TheDude1

@Celestialforthcoming My opinion is The Conjurring will be number 1 next weekend. These low budget horror movies always top the box office and the makers of that film have past experience doing that with Saw and Insidious.

9 months agoby @thedude1Flag

16. Cartman

@themoviefanatic im sure RIPD will be a flop in B.O., just my opinion lets see what happens.

"I think R.I.P.D looks better then all the Men in Black movies." - deff not man, MIB has its own fans and standard. Don't compare a movie which has 3 successful B.O. record to a movie(RIPD) which is 1) looks 99.99% copied from MIB and 2) reminds of MIB 3) everyone thinks its an altered version of MIB..

9 months agoby @c-a-r-t-m-a-nFlag

17. Superman81

@themoviefanatic according to Deadline it looks like Turbo is predicted to make 30.8m, Red 2 at 24.7m, Conjuring at 28m, and RIPD only to make 17.6m. The numbers for Conjuring dont shock me and I expect it to be higher honestly. My 25m prediction for RIPD was way off and it looks to finish possibly out of the top 5.

9 months agoby @superman81Flag

18. Superman81

@themoviefanatic it will either bring in MIB crowds and fans of Ryan Reynolds or the MIB crowd will think its to similar and not go. I liked the MIB series but I want to give RIPD a chance as well. I just dont think the GA will eat it up. I still see a 25m OW for RIPD

9 months agoby @superman81Flag

19. Celestialforthcoming

Okay, I have a theory ladies and gents. I just checked the weekend. Do you folks believe this coming weekend will serve as a small basis for how the demographic will be divided this weekend? as in, what the general public will favor more in terms of genre? You have animated, old school action, sci-fi/fantasy action, and horror. All of which looks promising when it comes to entertainment. I think this weekend will determine what the public is more in favor to by means of numbers. What do you guys think?

9 months agoby @CelestialforthcomingFlag

20. Celestialforthcoming

Then again guys RIPD looks pretty identical to MIB. Maybe people are catching that and that turns them off. Also, Turbo this weekend also? That is a tough competition for one weekend. I feel bad for Pacific Rim. It deserves so much more because you can see the love and care given to it. But Turbo, as consistency may foretell with big animated films, will win this weekend. And superman81 has a point with Red 2 and RIPD. BUt overall, I think the ranking of earnings will be determined by heavy advertisement aside from Turbo. And Sean, the two films looks pretty similar, what makes you say you favor the new one over the other? I'm curious.

9 months agoby @CelestialforthcomingFlag

21. Sean

@superman81 Really? I think R.I.P.D looks better then all the Men in Black movies.

9 months agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

22. Superman81

@felipe-11 I forgot about Turbo coming out. Weird that Ryan Reynolds will be going up against himself this weekend. But I see Turbo as #1 with DM2 2nd, then Conjuring or Red 2 in 3/4 spot and RIPD as 5th. Which means GU2 would slip to 6th and PR could be 7th or 8th. The Heat might even out perform it this weekend but I doubt it so I see it as 7th. But the world could implode and we could see Ryan Reynolds with a 1, 2 finish this weekend.

9 months agoby @superman81Flag

23. Superman81

@themoviefanatic I think Red 2 will beat RIPD this weekend. I see RIPD making about 25m for the weekend. I think it looks funny but its compared to much to MIB. @felipe-11 PR wont have WOM to carry it. It will drop like a rock this weekend. I see it being DM2, Red 2, Conjuring, RIPD, GU2 as the top 5 this weekend. Though Horror movies like Conjuring could surprise and take 2nd.

9 months agoby @superman81Flag

24. Sean

@mr-k If it flops in the rest of the countries that it has yet to be released in, then at least I'll possibly get to own it on Blu-ray earlier. Don't box office flops come out on Blu-ray earlier then movies that succeed in the box office?

9 months agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

25. Sean

@corey Well, I saw The Lone Ranger and like it, but I have yet to see R.I.P.D. . Who knows though, Maybe i'll see R.I.P.D in theaters and not like it, sometimes I see a movie in theaters and don't like it after seeing it for the first time.

9 months agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

26. Mr.K

@themoviefanatic Again, Lone Ranger will flop like a bitch in the box-office when, I don't know, Turbo comes out this week. F*ck it, one last time..... *coughs*...

IT WILL FLOP LIKE A BITCH!

Get your head out of your own selfish ass and accept the facts!

9 months agoby @mr-kFlag

27. Corey W.

@themoviefanatic Lone Ranger....RIPD....I think you just have bad taste bro lol

9 months agoby @coreyFlag

28. Sean

@corey I guess that what people consider to be bad movies, are also what some people don't consider to be bad movies.

9 months agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

29. Corey W.

@themoviefanatic Why do you always root for sh*tty movies?

9 months agoby @coreyFlag

30. Cartman

P A C I F I C R I M is awesome ppl pls watch it,..

9 months agoby @c-a-r-t-m-a-nFlag