'Beverly Hills Cop' TV Series Moves Forward with Eddie Murphy and Shawn Ryan

The actor is teaming up with 'The Shield' creator to appear in this Sony Television series based on the hit movie franchise.
Beverly Hills Cop TV series moves forward with Eddie Murphy and Shawn Ryan
Beverly Hills Cop TV series moves forward with Eddie Murphy and Shawn Ryan
Last year, when Eddie Murphy was promoting the comedy Tower Heist, many were hoping for an update on the long-gestating Beverly Hills Cop 4. Instead, he made the surprising revelation that the sequel is dead, and that he is working on a Beverly Hills Cop TV series. Today, we have word that the actor is teaming up with The Shield creator Shawn Ryan and Sony Pictures Television to make this show a reality.

However, don't expect the series to center on Eddie Murphy's Axel Foley. The original report revealed that the actor would show up "here and there" in the series, but it will mainly focus on Foley's son, with Axel now serving as the Detroit Chief of Police.

They started pitching this show to networks earlier today, with confirmation coming in that Eddie Murphy will executive produce and have a minor on-screen role. It isn't known if their approach has changed since the first report in October, or if this pitch includes the rights to The Pointer Sisters' classic "The Neutron Dance."

Sony Pictures Television has an overall deal with Shawn Ryan, who is launching his new series Last Resort on ABC Thursday, September 27 at 8 PM ET.

Beverly Hills Cop was released December 5th, 1984 and stars Eddie Murphy, Judge Reinhold, John Ashton, Lisa Eilbacher, Ronny Cox, Steven Berkoff, James Russo, Jonathan Banks. The film is directed by Martin Brest.

1. Salemwolf711

Way too damn late.

2 years agoby @Salemwolf711Flag

2. CelluloidDreams

I think 's a little to late for this now. But it could be good...Or it could be bad. It seems better has a film than a Tv series.!

2 years agoby @2movieguysFlag

True. He's had quite the poor record of late, hasn't he, @incmob?

And I'm glad to see you here and there and wherever we can get you. I don't know how insightful my comments really are, but you're definitely one of the few people with whom it's a pleasure holding a conversation with on this site. Though that number is slowly growing, thankfully. I'm coming on a bit less and more sporadically myself. I guess life's just keeping us all busy, down, or both.

As for Shield, I watched the spare episode here and there when I still had cable and didn't rely on my Netflix or the internet or a friends house. While I never got into it, I can honestly say that it seemed quality entertainment. Real gritty and at times a bit too angry-dramatic for my tastes, but quality television nonetheless. The accolades speak for the show, really, which is why mostly why I'm behind this idea. That sense of anger/passion/realism mixed with Murphy's humor and age (which might be quite an unexpected but fun factor) should make for entertaining times.

2 years agoby @narratorFlag

4. incmob

@narrator lol... no doubt about that... and just to think it seemed like yesterday i was shaking my head when harlem nights came out, then distinguished gentleman, then dr. doolittle, then pluto nash, then... yep... for about 20 years now.

Been doing good though bro, havent commented too much lately but still try to pop on and see your comments when i can, always a delight to see your insight on things. btw, never checked out shield was it really that good?

2 years agoby @incmobFlag

5. The_Crow2k

Now everything will become a T.V. series + bad reboots + bad remakes??? I'm done with you, Hollywood.

2 years agoby @the-crow2kFlag

6. Gandoff

@incmob I think it should be action drama, less sitcom to work best. Could be done like the show 24. Where the story is a year long carry over, and only so much is told week to week. Just add some sarcastic humor with Eddie Murphy's touch.

2 years agoby @gandoffFlag

7. THE JOKER

@SherlockHolmes2009 I can't believe I get to finally disagree with you on an article! ;)

2 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

8. SherlockHolmes2009

Now this will be awesome

2 years agoby @SherlockHolmes2009Flag

9. jasdjqs

If done right should be a good show, I will give it a shot

2 years agoby @jasdjqsFlag

10. Vanboy

This was inevitible. Why is he doing it? A Thousand Words, Imagine That, Meet Dave, The Haunted Mansion, Showtime, I Spy, Adventures of Pluto Nash, Dr. Dolittle 2, Nutty Professor 2, Holy Man, Vampire in Brooklyn, The Distinguished Gentleman, Boomerang, Harlem Nights, Beverly Hills III, The Golden Child and Best Defence.

2 years agoby @vanboyFlag

11. Joshua Hollaway

Eddie Murphey must be running low on cash.

2 years agoby @Joshua-HollawayFlag

12. Rufio

i was stoked until i saw the line "with Axel now serving as the Detroit Chief of Police"... ummmm WHAT?!?!?!?! how does foley go from his role to a responsible, political-like CHIEF?!?!?!!?!

2 years agoby @rufioFlag

13. THE JOKER

Dammit....

2 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

14. BERSERKER

This could end up being decent at best, still should have been a movie though.

2 years agoby @Number1WolverineFlag

Haha, @incmob. That sounds more accurate now that I think about it. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that it's already 2012. How've you been, btw? I haven't talked with you in a while, if memory serves me correctly.

2 years agoby @narratorFlag

16. incmob

@narrator if you dont mind me chiming in... i would say... more like 20 years.

2 years agoby @incmobFlag

17. incmob

@gandoff i agree. FX would be a suitable home for this based on its current programming... they take more risks and have an edge compared to network programming. My question is would it be a sitcom, much like the third film or a action/drama/comedy... more in the vein of the first two films. I think this could work again like you said... if it was done right. most tv shows that turn into films are never done right, however there have been alot of movies that have been done right even when they are in animated form (example: the real ghostbusters). I think if they are to do this... get someone that can bring an audience... perhaps a stand up comic with some skills. personally my vote is... Jay Pharaoh... of course a lot of his comedy comes from impersonations... in fact... he does a pretty good eddie murphy... hint hint.

2 years agoby @incmobFlag

No thanks.

2 years agoby @dan1Flag

Lot of movies going into TV shows lately

20. Gandoff

@narrator What, you didn't like Shrek? >:)

I don't see this being made on anything but cable. Needs a be able to show grit and some edge. Network would not allow what is needed. With it being made by Fox, I see it in FX. They have a decent history of doing edgy shows. But I would not count AMC out of the picture, since they have a huge following with ground breaking shows in drama like Mad Men, Walking Dead, Hell on Wheels, and Breaking Bad. For me, this will be made, and a huge hit if wrote right. But who would play the central character? He is Axle Foley's son, so should he be black, or did Axle hook up with the girl in the first movie, and be more white? Lee Thompson Young who did some good work on Smallville, or Anthony Mackie would be my personal choices. But Mackie seams to be more into movies then tv.

2 years agoby @gandoffFlag

21. Xenon

HBO would be a safer bet

2 years agoby @xenon56Flag

22. Avalanche

....why not HBO?/ Not basic network tv?

2 years agoby @avalancheFlag

I'm on board. It's a helluva lot better than the crap he's been in for the past (oh, I don't know) ten years! Seriously, with the Shield creator bringing the talent and grittiness, and Murphy supporting the comedic side, I'm on board for now.

2 years agoby @narratorFlag