'Battlestar Galactica' Remake Is a Priority Says Bryan Singer

The 'Jack the Giant Killer' director reveals his 'Excalibur' reboot was shut down by Warner Bros., which has allowed him to develop this new 'Battlestar Galactica'.
Battlestar Galactica reboot moving forward says Bryan Singer
Battlestar Galactica reboot moving forward says Bryan Singer
Director Bryan Singer was set to direct a remake of the 1981 Knights of the Round Table adventure Excalibur, although that project was killed back in June when Warner Bros. acquired Arthur & Lancelot. Bryan Singer recently revealed that Excalibur's death meant he can now focus more on Battlestar Galactica for Universal Pictures. Take a look at what the filmmaker had to say below.

"Yeah, unfortunately it is no longer going to happen. I was really enthused to do it. I'm a fan of John Boorman's movie and it was my intention to get it going after Jack the Giant Killer was completed. The project was with Warner Bros. and what happened is that another King Arthur project was brought to them during that time. Basically, it was just more ready to go into production than ours was. That is why our version of Excalibur ended up being negated. But, when that happened, it allowed me to go straight into developing Battlestar Galactica - which I think will be really exciting."

We haven't heard anything on Battlestar Galactica since it was confirmed in August 2009 that Bryan Singer will produce and direct. It isn't clear how far into development Battlestar Galactica is, or when it may start filming.

Bryan Singer's Excalibur is not to be confused with Guy Ritchie's Excalibur, which was also shut down after Arthur & Lancelot was picked up by Warner Bros.

Battlestar Galactica is in development . The film is directed by Bryan Singer.

Sources: SFX

1. Xenon

what I hate the most is when someone claims that they are smarter than the person they are talking to.
    We are all smart and equal to each other, having said that I just wish that they wouldn't say it. Since it comes off as rude and self important.

2 years agoby @xenon56Flag

2. Hamlet Man

sp*cy convo....

the Syfy reboot was very high quality... hard to imagine following a 100 something hour drama using such talented stars with a 2 hour reboot so soon afterward and having it go over well... tough sell to a crowd that mostly loved the Syfy version....

2 years agoby @Hamlet-ManFlag

3. aoshi

@k-man clearly you still don't get it. I'm not defending that "ignorant little sh*t", I am attacking YOUR ridiculous argument that if he can't do better than them he can't say anything. That is absurd as f*ck.

2 years agoby @aoshiFlag

4. aoshi

@dan1 that's exactly my point, the sixth season introduced new characters and plot points when we still had so many loose points from the previous seasons. Why? Because they had no idea what to do with the old plot points, and had to cover their mess. It was specially disappointing after a brilliant 5th season.

2 years agoby @aoshiFlag

5. Sexyman1

i liked pretty much everything about BSG, including the ending, there were tiny holes or peices that could have been tweaked but a very brilliant show and very unique. lost was much the same as my thought on BSG. but lost had a smoke monster i mean come on that was the pretty much the coolest f*cking thing i've ever seen. did singer have anything to do with the remake show, i cant remember, but i'm not sure i want him to go anywhere near this, the x-men movies were descent bordering on blah. he should have just called it wolverine and some other people, they were all just very weak, whatd cyclops have like 4 lines in the whole movie, it did not feel like an x-men movie to me especially without the costumes. sorry to go on a rant. i think singers talent is mediocre, (the german character in valkyrie with no german accent). superman returns was actually enjoyable, though nearly actionless. as it stands i think he should stay away, and ronald d. moore Has to be involved.

2 years agoby @sexyman1Flag

6. K-Man

@aoshi - And yet I'm not criticizing any brilliant directors/writers, now am I? One thing you very desperately need to understand is that there is a major difference between critiquing something and flat out generalizing.
    Now, if I was shooting my mouth off claiming that "there is absolutely no talent in Hollywood, everybody sucks and, therefore, everyone there is an idiot", then yeah, I wouldn't be able to open my mouth until I proved I could do it better than everyone else. However, if I'm critiquing (lets just say a random movie) and I find a fault and express how I could have done it better, then that's a justified critique.
    This kid's "argument", if you can even call it that, has no bases whatsoever. He's simply calling everyone in Hollywood, who is making remakes, an idiot.....and that's generalizing.
    SO, if that kid is going to shoot his mouth off and call everyone in Hollywood idiots, and unless he can do better than what all of them are doing, then he better ante up.

You're turning and twisting this around in a way that is absolutely ridiculous......and what's worse is that by defending that ignorant little sh*t, you are coming across just as, if not more, ignorant than he is.

2 years agoby @k-manFlag

7. p3rfect

Battlestar Galactica is one of the greatest shows ever made. I hope they do this justice.

BSG owns Lost.

2 years agoby @p3rfectFlag

@dan1 Of course your right...being the expert that you are on GOT but i really enjoy the writers/producers who ar willing to take those kinds of risks.

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

@skywise Actually, after reading the 5 books that are out for Ice and Fire (GOT), I think the idea that Martin kills his characters off too often is a bit misleading. The main characters have remained throughout thus far. "Some" major ones have died, yes, but I don't think he's too much worse than other fantasy writers.

2 years agoby @dan1Flag

@dan1 Oh thats right!! I forgot, i really hope its something special. I have a good feeling altho i have only seen paintings...those paintings were pretty awesome.

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

@dan1 I agree with you about the plot holes but as you said it was about those characters and when you "favorite" characters died (mine was Charlie) it was gut wrenching. That is bold. Most tv shows dont take those kinds of risks because so many people say "if so and so dies, i am DONE with this show"

I Have read all of the Walking Dead Comics and i hope they follow some of the original story. Like GOT, its a show that you might not want to get attached to any one character for too long. But only time will tell if they have the balls that the writers for Lost had.

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

@skywise Goddamn dude, you just mentioned LOST, BSG, and Game of Thrones in the same paragraph... I.... I can't say which I liked/like more... too... difficult lol.

And BSG isn't over, they have Blood and Chrome in the works, the story will be expanded.

2 years agoby @dan1Flag

@dan1 From what i read it will be a new crew and a new outlook on the mythos (which i am ok with). I loved the tv show but its OVER. I am interested to see Singers version of this.

@corey so many people knocked the ending of Lost but i thought it was absolutly perfect. The BSG ending was a little botched but i still enjoyed it. However Lost was just one of those rare, brilliant sows that was not affraid to kill off your favorite characters (much like Game of Thrones). I loved BSG but Lost was superior IMO.

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

@aoshi That's fine. I've always believed there were 2 kinds of LOST fans. Your type, that wanted to see more build up of the Dharma Initiative and that side of the show, and my type, that was more vested in the characters' emotional growth. Though I will agree that it had its share of plot holes, forgotten plots, etc. A lot of the sixth season felt wasted, filler episodes where there shouldn't have been any (the temple stuff, introducing even more new characters who didn't add anything to the plot and just died anyways).

2 years agoby @dan1Flag

15. Josh

LOST's ending was totally faithful to the spirit of the show. I'm with @corey and @dan1 . It gave me everything I wanted.

2 years agoby @shuabertFlag

16. aoshi

@k-man by that same token you cannot criticize any movie since you are unable to write or direct a brilliant one. That's a weak argument you got there.

I don't think writers and filmmakers are idiots for making remakes. It's not entirely their fault that Hollywood has run out of ideas and is prostituting itself into uncreative repetition. That fault lies mostly with producers unwilling to take risks with new ideas.

2 years agoby @aoshiFlag

17. aoshi

@corey@dan1 disagreed. They had this huge build up and could not deliver. They strayed from the science fiction that was keeping the show interesting to the fantasy elements that they pulled out of their asses in the end, very disappointing. Sure, it was a happy ending for most of the characters, but in the end the whole Dharma Initiative took a backseat to two stupid gods bickering over stupid sh*t. Jack and Locke in a mano a mano in that last episode was embarrassingly awful.

I don't dismiss the show, though. It was one of my favorite shows ever, and as I said, the ride was incredible (with a few bumps here and there). The ending... meh.

2 years agoby @aoshiFlag

@corey Agreed. Love LOST.

2 years agoby @dan1Flag

19. Corey W.

@aoshi LOST had an excellent ending....

2 years agoby @coreyFlag

@thedude-abides Well see, that's my question, actually. Yes, that's the name of the show I mentioned, but I dunno if this will be directly related or not.

2 years agoby @dan1Flag

21. thedude-abides

@dan1 Is this the show you were talking about?

2 years agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

So Singer wants to make a movie.... will it feature the crew from the show?

2 years agoby @dan1Flag

23. K-Man

@aoshi - His argument is that filmmakers and writers are all a bunch of idiots because they are filming remakes.....his argument is already invalid.

And if he doesn't come up with some brilliant original story idea, then yeah, that would not only make his entire argument even more invalid considering he's no different.......but it also makes him a hypocrite.

2 years agoby @k-manFlag

24. Etorken

@k-man Say that again after 4-6 years...
    I have good, original ideas (about 6 at the moment). Creating a story (science fiction, fantasy) requires creating a whole new world, which means lots of research and learning to get it right.
    And, yes, I am that smart. Definitely smarter than you.

2 years agoby @etorkenFlag

25. aoshi

@k-man so if he can't come up with original ideas that makes his arguments invalid?

2 years agoby @aoshiFlag

26. aoshi

@ROFLitschristian it's sort of like LOST: a great ride, but the ending was meh.

2 years agoby @aoshiFlag

27. K-Man

@etorken - "All too stupid" "bunch of idiots"???

Yeah, ok man......why don't you come up with some brilliant, original ideas if you so smart. By the way, nice grammar.....it's clearly the filmmakers and writers who are idiots.

@ROFLitschristian@bawnian-dexeus - I've never seen the show but with Bryan Singer behind the film, you can bet your ass I'll be at the theater opening night. Cant wait to see him tackle a full out sci-fi flick like Battlestar!! This should be good.

2 years agoby @k-manFlag

28. Etorken

Remakes, remakes, remakes... How about some new original ideas, stories! Or are you all too stupid to come up with new? Time to stop obsessing with old, don't you think? A bunch of idiots (i don't mean it as an offense but as a fact).

2 years agoby @etorkenFlag