The trailer for the new documentary film Legends of the Knight debuted online on Thursday. The not-for-profit film collects the stories of Batman fans around the world whose lives have been significantly impacted by the legends and tales of the Dark Knight. Here's what director/producer Brett Culp had to say.
"Batman has become contemporary mythology. We want to show how enduring stories like this shape us. Our goal is to inspire everyone on the planet who loves Batman to embody his spirit, engage with the world, and make a difference. Together, we are Batman."
Culp is a life-long Batman fan. Over the past year, he and his team have filmed stories in 12 cities, recording 48 interviews. They captured the stories of individuals whose love of the Dark Knight has inspired them to overcome devastating obstacles, to motivate and encourage young people, and to contribute to their communities.
Well-known Batfans who appear in the film include:
- Michael E. Uslan - executive producer of Batman, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, and The Dark Knight Rises
- Denny O'Neil - legendary Batman writer
- Lenny B Robinson - visits children's hospitals around the country as Batman
- Jill Pantozzi (The Nerdy Bird) - Superhero journalist with the spirit of the Caped Crusader
- Rabbi Cary Friedman - author, "Wisdom from the Batcave"
- Dr. Travis Langley - author, "Batman & Psychology"; teacher of university course in psychology called "Batman"
- Gotham Chopra - co-author, "Seven Spiritual Laws of Superheroes"; son of best-selling author Deepak Chopra
The film's production team is offering a unique opportunity for supporters to interact and ask questions via a free online video webcast on Saturday, February 23 at 2 PM EST. The webcast will be hosted on WeAreBatman.com. Here's what Brett Culp had to say in an additional statement.
"Human beings have always been stirred to greatness by the tales of heroes. We connect with Batman because he is the super hero with no super powers. Just as he has committed himself to making the world better, we can dedicate ourselves to a noble cause and make a difference. This type of inspiration is a core function of storytelling in society."
The production team for Legends of the Knight is now raising funds through Kickstarter to finish the film. The 30-day funding campaign gives supporters of the project the opportunity to pre-order copies of the finished film and other incentives as a way of funding this documentary project.
The campaign raised nearly $5,000 in pledges in the first 12 hours.
- Link to Kickstarter campaign: Kickstarter.com/Projects/BrettCulp/Legends-Of-The-Knight
- Official website: WeAreBatman.com
In the spirit of Batman, all revenues generated by the completed film that are beyond production, screening, distribution, and administrative costs will be donated to charitable organizations.
Release date will be Summer 2013.
Legends of the Knight was released in 2013 and stars Michael E. Uslan, Gotham Chopra, Brett Culp, Denny O'Neil, Danny Scott, Lenny B. Robinson, Travis Langley, Brian Elliott. The film is directed by Brett Culp.