'Bad Boys 3' Gets 'Safe House' Writer David Guggenheim

Sony Pictures is hoping to bring back Will Smith and Martin Lawrence to star. Director Michael Bay is not involved in the sequel at this point.
Sony Pictures has hired Safe House screenwriter David Guggenheim to write the screenplay for Bad Boys 3. The studio is hoping to get franchise stars Will Smith and Martin Lawrence back for the follow-up, although no deals are in place yet.

Michael Bay, who made his feature directorial debut with 1995's Bad Boys, and also directed the 2003 sequel Bad Boys II, is not involved with the follow-up at this time, although Jerry Bruckheimer is returning to produce.

Sony is trying to make this sequel with the original cast, although it isn't known what other cast members from Bad Boys and Bad Boys II may come back. The franchise follows best friends and cop partners Mike Lowery (Will Smith) and Marcus Burnett (Martin Lawrence) and their adventures throughout Miami. Joe Pantoliano played Lowery and Burnett's cranky superior officer Captain Howard in both movies, and Theresa Randle also starred in both movies as Marcus' wife Theresa. Of course, no story details have been given yet, so aside from Will Smith and Martin Lawrence, it isn't known what other actors are being sought to return.

David Guggenheim also wrote the action-thriller Stolen and the upcoming Narco Sub, which has Doug Liman attached to direct. He also worked on the most recent draft of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune for Sony.

Bad Boys 3 comes to theaters in 2015 and stars Martin Lawrence, Will Smith.

Sources: Deadline

1. K.Guy

Finally some Bad Boys 3 news!

8 months agoby @kguyFlag

2. Xenon

@ObiWanShinobi I do realize that.

8 months agoby @xenon56Flag

3. Xenon

In MIB3 Tommy Lee Jones looked tired and worn out. sure the film looked good, everyone but Will was great.
    I will watch his films for other people, just not him.

8 months agoby @xenon56Flag

4. ObiWanShinobi

Asking for 50 million is basically saying no. @xenon56

8 months agoby @ObiWanShinobiFlag

5. ObiWanShinobi

If he wanted his name back in the public eye trust me it'd be there. He's a family man nowadays. He refuses so many offers. Him & Chris Tucker. Mr. Tucker has finally cracked though. Here's to hoping Mr. Lawrence will too. @bawnian-dexeus

8 months agoby @ObiWanShinobiFlag

6. Mieko_Siede

I'd love to see this film come to life if the original cast returns. After reading a few comments below you do feel that it wouldn't be likely that Will Smith would return. I don't know of his ego or pride to speak against him but I do know that he is hurting himself right now. He's more eccentric than egotistic I believe. Although it doesn't help that he's had some success and now feels himself to be a commodity. I hope the draw of an old family feel would put that aside to allow him to do this. If he could do three Men in Black films, and I hate those, why not a third Bad Boys?

8 months agoby @mieko-siedeFlag

Once I read that Smith, Lawrence and Bay are in, then I'll be there. Also, Martin will need this to put his name back in the public eye.

8 months agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

8. Dfella504

gotta have bay, Lawrence , smith....or u will have a straight too dvd flop lbvs!

8 months agoby @dfellaFlag

9. Mka47

no bay? i'm in

8 months agoby @mka47Flag

10. Xenon

Will actually thinks that sci-fi film he stared in with his kid was great, a second one is being made. He's so clueless, it hurts to watch him act.

8 months agoby @xenon56Flag

11. Xenon

@ObiWanShinobi He demanded 50 million to star in ID2,3. As of his attitude and ego, Will won't listen to anyone.
    And he thinks he's giving us great films 'Please, I can't tolerate him anymore' he's really a bad actor now. Most actors get better over time with Will it's the other way around.

I still like and enjoy Martin's films

8 months agoby @xenon56Flag

12. ObiWanShinobi

Will Smith probably won't do it, he won't even do Independence Day 2 the movie that MADE his career. He's too Hollywood right now.

8 months agoby @ObiWanShinobiFlag

13. The Real Goku

I think he'd do a great job writing the movie but I doubt they'd be in without Bay

8 months agoby @therealGokuFlag

14. cvnt$top

All three need to come back or the whole vibe will be ruined. But give me Martin & Will im still all in.

8 months agoby @cvntstopFlag

15. Josh

I liked Safe House more than I expected to. Although there's next to no humour in that movie, so he may not be the best fit for Bad Boys.

8 months agoby @shuabertFlag

16. ed_wood

They have to get Smith and Lawrence back or why bother.

8 months agoby @ed-woodFlag

17. Johnny1312

About damm time !!! i hope they return!

8 months agoby @Johnny1312Flag

18. JasonKat

with or w/out him, im in...
    I love cop movies such as Miami Vice, bad boys, heat, departed ect.
    this will be good if done right.

8 months agoby @jasonkatFlag