'Avatar' Secures the 2nd Highest Worldwide Gross of All Time!

The film surpassed 'Lord of the Rings: Return of the King'.
Avatar is #2!
Avatar is #2!
Just last night we reported that James Cameron's Avatar and it jumped up a spot literally overnight. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Avatar overtook The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King for the second-highest worldwide gross of all time.

The film passed the $1.12 billion mark held by The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King according to early Wednesday box office numbers. Avatar's worldwide haul now stands at $1.14 billion, with $374.4 million in domestic grosses and $760.8 million from international markets.

The only film left to beat is Cameron's 1997 epic Titanic and its worldwide tally of $1.84 billion.

Avatar was released December 18th, 2009 and stars Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, Sigourney Weaver, Stephen Lang, Joel Moore, Giovanni Ribisi, Michelle Rodriguez, Laz Alonso. The film is directed by James Cameron.

1. Shadow Of The Day

Great.

4 years agoby @asifFlag

2. Johnnyblaze09

To -comrade- a clarification about the 'remake', I meant Titanic was actually not the first Titanic movie, there's some old Titanic movies way back years. I should have used the word 'depict'. I don't wanna destroy anything here, an apology if so.

4 years agoby @johnnyblaze09Flag

3. Narzion

$1.14 billion- no comment

4 years agoby @narzionFlag

And speaking of fx, anyone else looking forward to Tintin? I mean Speilberg (hopefully his better side) and Jackson working together with Avatars technology? Sounds like a winner to me.

4 years agoby @narratorFlag

Lol. Agreed Comrade. I gave it a 4.3 IMO.

4 years agoby @narratorFlag

6. -comrade-

As for the "best movie ever claims", people who don't actually think about movies always get swept up in the moment. It takes discerning fans to approach a fim rationally, and sometimes those are the only people actually looking closely at all. Most people don't even know if movies have bad plots, poor acting, or whatehaveyou, they just know how they felt in terms of "It's awesome!" or, "It sucks!"

That said, 3.5/5 is the lowest rating I would give Avatar, and I think it definitely deserves an arguable 4/5.

4 years agoby @taberjohnson18Flag

7. -comrade-

Titanic wasn't a remake.

Does anyone else think Johnnyblaze is utterly incoherent?

Gollum was fawesome when he was created, but I watched TTT the other day... that's really awful animation by standards of less than a decade later.

That makes you Avian, just you. He, and users like him were destroying what little credibility this site had.

4 years agoby @taberjohnson18Flag

8. Johnnyblaze09

Avatar is not even a pre- or se- quel movie like almost all other movies it replaced now! Not even a remake like Titanic! With scary blue faces on publicities! Predictable/poor story line as said! Then at one shot it tops, wow! I mean, isn't it Avatar is just a dreamy movie about the story of a jar-head, ex-marine, crippled Jake Sully who's turned to be in love in fairy tales, the New World, the alien, with his new hybrid body? Yeah, but Pandora is lovely and amazing! On big 3D screens, especially! And it keeps me floating. : ) PS: Production said to be started 2007. If true. So. This is not a decade movie. Besides I saw some Cameron works after Titanic. It shows he's busy with something else while waiting the computer world to expose Gollum of L O T R : T T T (2002). Just sharing...

4 years agoby @johnnyblaze09Flag

9. Avian

Great news for Avatar, but I still think LOTR beats it.

Dammit, I miss Newkill...

4 years agoby @avian005Flag

10. justinishulk

All i say is...........................................................WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!

4 years agoby @justinishulkFlag

Too true Mante. The story was better than you give credit but you have the main point.

And too MESSENGER, my neighbors said that, my brother said that (how are we related?), my friends said that, this one tv spot said it if I recall right, and several dedicated slightly moronic fans on this very site said it. Its a good movie bust best ever as you said is truly a huge claim.

4 years agoby @narratorFlag

12. Mylifeisashootingrange

thats awesome news!

4 years agoby @btimms315Flag

13. Mante

Will it beat Titanic....probably....is the film that good....well numbers don't lie....but then again it is just word of mouth that is the only reason...as someone else has already stated.

Cmon I seen it...no different than any other movie...I actually thought Star Trek and the Dark Knight was better....but if I told you I am working on nothing but one project for the next 10 years and when ever anybody asked me what I was working on and I say....the same project year after year after year......then the buzz is out there....kinda like Dr. Dre...he puts out a CD once every 8 to 10 years....and even if it sucks...because it is Dr. Dre and he has a reputation for perfection...like Cameron does....then the buzz alone will make it sell...I mean Phantom menace is on that list of top movies of all time....yeah a Star Wars Movie after 20 freakin years...of course the buzz is going to generate profit and we all know the Phatom Menace sucked.....so great marketing campain...but is the story any different from the british taking over the land of the Idiginous American Indian?!?!?
    Any ways....congrats to hollywood and Cameron......but to me....its just another Movie

4 years agoby @manteFlag

14. Johnnyblaze09

Outstanding! "Only an Iron can beat up Jim" or "Only a Cameron can beat up the Cameron" and now this could possibly be true! (Titanic is unsinkable, not even god can sink this ship, as I recall) I always said these phrases because of how many movies after Titanic whenever they were shown or whatever they were/are like not one gained this high, and at this short time! Avatar may not be the best in the US however at the other part of the world loves and likes Cameron! So, that's it! He proved really that he is the "king of the world". And I commented; Wow, so amazing! They should see thy faces! Well, good job Sir Jim! Can't wait your Battle Angel! Doesn't I have a Merry Christmas there? ; )

4 years agoby @johnnyblaze09Flag

15. Messenger

Who has been saying he is the best director and best film ever? That is a big statement.

4 years agoby @messengerFlag

Wow. This is sad..I didn't think I'd see the day until this movie came out. I am glad for Avatar but all this talk of how he's the best director and this is the greatest movie ever is getting quite irking. This was a great fun filled movie. Best of the year? Maybe... to some. Best movie ever? No.

This has a shot of beating Titanic. I doubt it but it has a shot.

4 years agoby @narratorFlag

17. Messenger

Titanic made 600 mill domestically. It can reach that #.

4 years agoby @messengerFlag

18. Batman Rules !!!

iron man 2 get beat by avatar. It Beat the dark knight. Sad to say since i loved Dark knight

4 years agoby @the-fallenFlag

19. Batman Rules !!!

700 an something million to catch up to titanic. Hmmmmm thats a tough 1 lol

4 years agoby @the-fallenFlag

20. GK

That was faster than expected.

4 years agoby @indianajonesFlag

21. Warhawk613

I wish Newkill was here so he can cry about it lol

4 years agoby @warhawk613Flag

22. T.Clark

I didn't think it would beat Titanic until now...now I'm thinking it has a chance. I mean, I thought it would beat Return of the King, but not this quick.

4 years agoby @insertusernamehereFlag

23. mikehd

Everybody is makeing excuses this movie would have beaten anything you can throw at it I work at a movie theatre and women love this movie james Cameron new what he was doing when he wrote this movie it appeals to everybody

4 years agoby @mikehdFlag

24. CBF

You guys think this will beat Titanic? Your thoughts...

4 years agoby @comicbookfanFlag

25. T.Clark

Two movies of that caliber would never be put up against each other. Avatar has performed great, and so will Iron Man 2, so...no point in making assumptions lol

4 years agoby @insertusernamehereFlag

26. T.Clark

It doesn't matter if there aren't any "contenders" at the box office right now. If people didn't want to see it, they wouldn't pay to see it, especially when the majority are seeing it in 3D, which costs more. The movie didn't perform THAT great on opening weekend (taking its budget into account), but word has spread and it's now #2 on the all times highest grossing films list. That's why it's making money...word of mouth.

4 years agoby @insertusernamehereFlag

27. Brian

I still think Avatar would have killed Iron Man 2 if it was put up against it.

4 years agoby @brianFlag

28. Batman Rules !!!

Than not Rhan. My bad lol. Typed to Fast there :P

4 years agoby @the-fallenFlag

29. Batman Rules !!!

Its obvious he released the film at a perfect time. Chipmunks n Sherlock vs Avatar thats a Dam joke. Plus the competition its having in this month are rated r films daybreakers , book of eli , legion. Those movies wont make more rhan 20million. Maybe book of eli. As of now it looks like its going to beat dark knights 533million. So yea camerons a genius. He needs to take over spider man. Not raimi and His Retarded studio

4 years agoby @the-fallenFlag

30. josefettwalker

=S Avatar is good and all but not as good as LOTR

4 years agoby @josefettwalkerFlag