Arnold Schwarzenegger Is Back as 'The Terminator'!

Justin Lin will direct this latest edition of the long running franchise in an all-new Terminator movie!
It's official. Arnold is back as The Terminator!
It's official. Arnold is back as The Terminator!
It has now been confirmed. Arnold Schwarzenegger is set to reprise his role as The Terminator in a new installment of the franchise to be directed by Fast Five's Justin Lin.

CAA is currently shopping a rights package to various different studios with both Arnold Schwarzenegger and Justin Lin attached. Robert W. Cort is producing, though no screenwriter has been hired at this time.

Pacificor currently holds the rights to The Terminator franchise. Universal, Sony, and Lionsgate are all reportedly considering the package that CAA has put together.

Like Man of Steel, which sees Warner Bros. in danger of losing certain rights to Superman, there is a rush to get a new Terminator into production soon, as the rights will revert back to James Cameron in 2018. Though he has no plans to ever make another Terminator, he would have to be included in any deal that would see another film go into production past 2018.

Currently, there is enough time to make two new Terminator movies before that has to happen. It is unclear at this time if the next chapter will be Terminator 5 with Arnold Schwarzenegger reprising his role as the unstoppable killing machine, or if it will be a new take that finds the ex-Governor playing a new, different role.

More on this will be released in the near future.

The Terminator was released October 26th, 1984 and stars Arnold Schwarzenegger, Michael Biehn, Linda Hamilton, Paul Winfield, Lance Henriksen, Bess Motta, Earl Boen, Rick Rossovich. The film is directed by James Cameron.

Terminator comes to theaters July 1st, 2015 and stars Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jason Clarke, Emilia Clarke, Jai Courtney, Matt Smith, J.K. Simmons, Douglas Smith, Dayo Okeniyi. The film is directed by Alan Taylor.

Sources: Deadline

1. incmob

@shuabert i agree that McG needed another shot, salvation was not that bad, i think simply i had no expectations of it, but enjoyed it for what it was... however hearing about his reports for the next installment i really did cringe, and thought it was jumping the shark a bit and became a pretty desperate idea.

3 years agoby @incmobFlag

2. ParkWilliams

@shuabert : Exactly what I think. Two more movies detailing the war against the machines with the final scene in the last movie being Kyle Reese getting sent through time after the original terminator. Brings the series full circle.

3 years agoby @azadorFlag

3. CBF

It cannot be a new take. The story needs to be completed.

3 years agoby @comicbookfanFlag

4. Josh

@dan1@brian
    I enjoyed Salvation, and I'm kinda bummed McG won't get to finish his plans for a future war trilogy. That's the direction the franchise needed to go if it was going to continue.

3 years agoby @shuabertFlag

@brian Amen.

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

6. Brian

McG is a putz.

3 years agoby @brianFlag

7. Replicant

I would have liked McG to return, I really enjoyed Salvation, but Lin ain't bad either

3 years agoby @felipe-11Flag

8. Pjwolsker

@skywise he looked older in T3 but they didnt need to explain it. plus i doubt the time travel stuff will be in it. i dont think we'll be seeing Arnold in the nude again

3 years agoby @pjwolskerFlag

9. Pjwolsker

all i know is i want Christian Bale back as John Connor. i dont want a new actor everytime they make a new Terminator movie

3 years agoby @pjwolskerFlag

10. RojoDiablo

Lin is good but I kinda wish McG would have gotten another crack at the Terminator franchise, unlike everyone else on here I really liked his Salvation film!!

3 years agoby @rojodiabloFlag

11. The First Avenger: JohnnyBlaze

@disciple419 your right in the fact that yes
    arnie is up there in the years but with today's technology and like Tron Legacy proved that doesent realy matter. Arnie will put fans in the movie seats if nothing for nostolgia. i realy hope they follow the bale storyline though.

3 years agoby @johnnyblazetb82Flag

12. ParkWilliams

@nawtnt :
    "I hope that Fast and Furious 5 will be so great that will make Justin Lin the perfect director for T5."

That's terrible logic. Just because a director does well on a single film doesn't mean he'll be the perfect choice for a different film. The Terminator franchise has a completely different feel than the Fast and the Furious franchise.

I agree with @dan1 and @shuabert . I can't see this being a good move.

3 years agoby @azadorFlag

13. Xenon

Not so sure about this, I can see him as one of the resistance but that's about it.
    What I hated about Salvation was Bale, he was shouting all the time.

3 years agoby @xenon56Flag

14. Salem6777

sweet

3 years agoby @Salem6777Flag

15. Disciple419

@johnnyblazetb82 I am serious. I can't stand Arnold. But my big problem with him returning to the screen is that he is 63 years old. How intimidating would your grandpa be as the Terminator? I don't know I just think after 4 movies the Terminator universe should be the star. I always liked the narrative more than his character. Distopian future and John Connor's destiny and all that. The only way I would like it is if they bring Christian Bale back and fulfill his fate of being killed by the T-101. But if it's just another leather jacket and sunglasses cloaked Arnold spitting out moosh-mouthed lines. No thanks.

3 years agoby @disciple419Flag

16. masterofthemoon

If this true that he wants to do another Terminator movie, it would be a good move not only on his part,but it will help the franchise get back on its feet. I for one would like to see Arnold go up against Chris Bale. I would pay good money to see them bust each other's heads on screen.

3 years agoby @masterofthemoonFlag

17. Jimthar

@jae1169 thats cool, i'm down for that. as long as he's not the main character/terminator. it wont work anymore. does anyone know if this is going to be in the christian bale series? i thought they were supposed to do 3 with him as JC. i liked T:S and was looking forward to more.

3 years agoby @jimtharFlag

18. Funkster

I can imagine Arnold playing the man the T-800 was modeled after, but he just seems too old to pull off being the Terminator now. The hole franchise seems too used now, and it's probably better to let it go. I've been wanting to see a movie all about the War of the Machines since those awesome future scenes in in first and second movie, but those movies should have been made a long time ago by James Cameron and when Arnold was still young enough to really pull off the part.

3 years agoby @funksterFlag

19. Corey W.

I with @shuabert and @dan1. This is a stupid idea. I also agree about Justin Lin. I would honestly rather get another popcorn Salvation sequel than see Arnold play the Terminator again. He's just too old for the role.

3 years agoby @coreyFlag

20. Nawtnt

Cool, Arine is back for Terminator 5 and I hope he will play the terminator or maybe the bad guy as he is too old, they can use CGI to make him young like Jeff Bridges in Tron Legacy.

Justin Lin directing Terminator 5 that's something I am not sure about but still I hope that Fast and Furious 5 will be so great that will make Justin Lin the perfect director for T5.

I wish Ridley Scott or John Hyams (Universal Soldier Regerenation) would direct T5.

Universal Soldier Regerenation was awesome especially the fight scenes, it was way better than Terminator Salvation.

3 years agoby @nawtntFlag

21. jae1169

@jimthar I agree with 100% Arnold should not portray a terminator. But this new movie should give a background story as to why his guise was chose for the original terminator.

3 years agoby @jae1169Flag

22. Jimthar

hopefully he wont be a terminator in this one. he's way too f*cking old to be taken seriously as a terminator now. maybe he'll play the guy that the original terminators looks were based on or something. that i can live with. but him AS a terminator doesnt work anymore.

3 years agoby @jimtharFlag

23. Shadow Of The Day

Great News.

3 years agoby @asifFlag

From Full Metal Jacket.

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

@incmob To summarize my feelings on Stahl's performance, I felt frustrated like Ermey's drill sargent with Pvt. Joker. You got a war face? Sir? Ahhhhhhh! That's a war face! Except Stahl never even tried.

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

26. mosorwvlad

I don't know why but this makes me feel said !

3 years agoby @mosorwvladFlag

@incmob I enjoyed the final 20 minutes of T3. When the machines finally 'rose' as it were, the film finally felt apocalyptic. Just sad that Claire Danes upstaged Nick Stahl in badassry with her angry blowing away of a flying machine via machine gun. That was the kind of intensity I was looking for in him... lol

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

@shuabert I'm kinda with you on this one. I love Arnold, he's awesome, but they've butchered the tone and feel and not to mention continuity of this series, plus Arnold is too old now.

What happened to those other films he was looking at? Suddenly they are off the table and the most obvious, uninspired choice is it?

And then there is Justin Lin. I've got no beef with the guy when he does superficial fare like Fast Five and the like, that's fine. They are shallow movies with shallow themes, and that is his element, and we enjoy them for that. The Terminator series is dark and serious, or it at least used to be. I highly doubt he can bring it back to that. Maybe he can, and I'll suck a lemon if he does, but I'll trust my gut beforehand.

3 years agoby @dan1Flag

29. Nautical

YAY Fifth Terminator!!!!

3 years agoby @nautical05Flag

30. Courtney O.

guess he needs to start working out!

3 years agoby @chickflickFlag