Available in Blu-ray (at $49.99 SRP) with UltraViolet digital copy, Argo Extended Edition will be offered in time for holiday gift giving. This new edition includes three brand new special features: Ben Affleck's Balancing Act and Argo Declassified featurettes; plus a mash-up entitled Argo F*ck! Yourself. In addition, there are collectible premiums of a one-sheet poster, map of Tehran, reproduction of Tony Mendez's CIA ID card, and a 40-page book with behind-the-scenes photos, production notes, cast bios and more.
Jeff Baker, WBHE's Executive Vice President and General Manager, Theatrical Catalog, had this to say.
Argo was one of the most honored and best reviewed movies of 2012. In addition to the Oscar presented to producers Grant Heslov, Affleck and George Clooney for Best Picture, Argo won the Golden Globe, BAFTA and Critics' Choice Awards for Best Picture. The film earned two additional Oscars - for Best Achievement in Film Editing and for Best Writing, Adapted Screenplay - and was nominated for an additional four (Best Supporting Actor for Alan Arkin; Best Original Score, Best Achievement in Sound Editing; Best Achievement in Sound Mixing). Affleck also stars in the film, leading an ensemble cast, which won the Screen Actors Guild (SAG) Award for Outstanding Motion Picture Cast Performance. Arkin was recognized with Oscar, Golden Globe, BAFTA Award, Critics' Choice and SAG Award nominations for his performance. Argo also stars Bryan Cranston, John Goodman, Victor Garber, Tate Donovan, Clea DuVall, Scoot McNairy, Rory Cochrane, Christopher Denham, Kerry Bishé, Kyle Chandler and Chris Messina. Screenwriter Chris Terrio won Oscar and Writers Guild of America awards for his screenplay, based on a selection from The Master of Disguise by Antonio J. Mendez and the Wired Magazine article "The Great Escape" by Joshuah Bearman.
On November 4, 1979, as the Iranian revolution reaches its boiling point, militants storm the U.S. Embassy in Tehran, taking 52 Americans hostage. In the midst of the chaos, six Americans manage to slip away and find refuge in the home of Canadian Ambassador Ken Taylor. Knowing it is only a matter of time before the six are found out and likely killed, the Canadian and American governments ask the CIA to intervene. The CIA turns to their top "exfiltration" specialist, Tony Mendez, to come up with a plan to get the six Americans safely out of the country. A plan so incredible, it could only happen in the movies.
Brand-New Special Features:
- Argo Declassified - Tony Mendez's daring operation gets honored as part of the CIA's 50th anniversary
- Ben Affleck's Balancing Act - Balancing humor, politics, Hollywood and international intrigue as only Affleck and his team could do
- Argo F*ck Yourself - Ben Affleck leads an all-star review of Argo's classic line
Additional Special Features:
- Argo one-sheet Poster
- Map of Tehran
- Reproduction of Tony Mendez's CIA ID card
- Picture in Picture: Eyewitness Account: Relive the takeover of the US Embassy in November of 1979 and the daring rescue mission in January of 1980 through the eyes of those that lived it.
- Feature length audio commentary with director Ben Affleck and writer Chris Terrio
- Rescued from Tehran: We Were There - President Jimmy Carter, Tony Mendez and the actual houseguests recount the real-life harrowing experience they endured.
- Argo: Absolute Authenticity - From characters to heart-stopping action, Ben Affleck's eye and ear for hard-hitting realism and attention to exacting detail has become his signature as an A-list filmmaker.
- Argo: The CIA & Hollywood Connection - Director Ben Affleck and former CIA agent Tony Mendez give a firsthand view of the actual documents and cover story used to create the phony movie Argo that had all of Hollywood believing in.
- Escape from Iran: The Hollywood Option - Escape from Iran commemorates the 25th anniversary of the "Canadian Caper," taking us back to this startling affair through the direct testimony of the Americans who found sanctuary at the Canadian embassy in Tehran, and the Canadians who risked their own safety to shelter their closest neighbors.
- A Discussion with the Cast of Argo - Ben Affleck joins Bryan Cranston, John Goodman, Alan Arkin, Clea DuVall and Rory Cochrane for a live conversation about their experiences while making Argo
- Tony Mendez on Tony Mendez - Former CIA agent Tony Mendez shares additional details and stories from the mission
- The Istanbul Journey - Ben Affleck shows us why Istanbul was the ideal place to shoot Argo
- 40-page book premium featuring behind the scenes photos, production notes, bios and more