Less than a year after the world marveled at man's first moon walk - and only three years after the deadly Apollo 1 fire - the American public thought of the April 1970 Apollo 13 moon mission as just another "routine" space flight. But soon, four words from Spacecraft Commander Jim Lovell would change all that: "Houston, we have a problem." Stranded 205,000 miles from home in a crippled spacecraft, Lovell, and two other astronauts, Jack Swigert and Fred Haise, fought a desperate battle to survive while Mission Control's heroic ground crew raced against time - and long odds - to bring them home. Academy Award-winner Ron Howard directs Tom Hanks, Kevin Bacon, Bill Paxton, Gary Sinise, Ed Harris and Kathleen Quinlan in a riveting account of this breathtaking real-life adventure.
- Feature commentary with director Ron Howard, Apollo 13 commander Jim Lovell and his wife Marilyn.
- Lucky 13: The Astronaut's Story: A "Dateline" television piece recounting the events of the mission.
- Lost Moon: The Triumph of Apollo 13: The making of the film including behind-the-scenes footage and interviews.
- Conquering Space: The Moon And Beyond: A recap of the last 45 years in space.
The following special features are exclusive to this brand new Blu-ray disc:
- BD-Live: Access the BD-Live Center through your Internet-connected player to get even more content, watch the latest trailers and more!
- My Scenes: Bookmark your favorite scenes from the movie then share with your BD-Live™ buddies!
- U-Control: Universal's exclusive signature feature puts the viewer just one click away from going deeper into the making of the film without ever leaving the movie.
- The Apollo Era: Learn about the other big events from the year of this historic mission-without stopping the movie.
- Tech-Splanations: Enjoy entertaining explanations of the science and technology of the Apollo 13 missions.
- pocket BLU: USHE's groundbreaking pocket BLU app uses iPhone and iPod touch Wi-Fi connections to work seamlessly with a network-connected Blu-ray player and offers advanced features such as:
- Advanced Remote Control: A sleek, elegant new way to operate your Blu-ray player. Users can navigate through menus, playback and BD-Live functions with ease.
- Video Timeline: By turning the phone to landscape mode, users will bring up the video timeline, allowing them to instantly access any point in the movie. (iPhone and iPod touch only)
- Mobile-To-Go: Users can unlock a selection of exclusive bonus content with their Blu-ray discs to save to their device or to stream from anywhere there is a cellular or Wi-Fi network, enabling them to enjoy exclusive content on the go, anytime, anywhere.
- Browse Titles: Users will have access to a complete list of pocket BLU-enabled titles available and coming to Blu-ray Hi-Def. They can view free previews and see what additional content is available to unlock on their device.
- Pop-Up Keyboard: Enter data into a Blu-ray player with this easy and intuitive keyboard that will facilitate such Blu-ray features as chatting with friends and sending messages.
Apollo 13 was released June 30th, 1995 and stars Tom Hanks, Bill Paxton, Kevin Bacon, Gary Sinise, Ed Harris, Kathleen Quinlan, Mary Kate Schellhardt, Emily Ann Lloyd. The film is directed by Ron Howard.