'Ant-Man' and 'Doctor Strange' Confirmed as Marvel Phase III Movies

Producer Kevin Feige speaks about director Edgar Wright's vision for 'Ant-Man', and how 'Doctor Strange' is unlike anything in Marvel's upcoming slate.
Marvel confirms Ant-Man and Doctor Strange will be a part of Phase III
Marvel confirms Ant-Man and Doctor Strange will be a part of Phase III
Marvel Studios kicks off Phase II of its movie slate this summer with Iron Man 3, followed by Thor: The Dark World, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, and closing out with The Avengers 2 in 2015. The studio is not wasting any time with the next phase of their development slate, with producer Kevin Feige confirming that Ant-Man will be the first movie in Phase III.

"Ant-Man is definitely part of Phase Three. Like Iron Man 3, it's certainly set in the Marvel Universe, but it's also through the lens of Edgar Wright - which is the only reason we're making the movie. I've known Edgar since our first lunch together at Comic-Con in 2004. He asked me what Marvel was doing with Ant-Man - we weren't even a studio then; what a difference eight years makes! It's very much an Ant-Man origin movie from the perspective of Edgar Wright and his co-writer Joe Cornish. It will of course be firmly planted in the MCU, but a different corner than we've seen before."

We reported in October that Ant-Man was given a November 6, 2015 release date. Kevin Feige also teased how the beloved Phase I characters will be evolving in new and intriguing ways throughout Phase II.

"So much of the stories we're telling [right now] is about the core 'Avengers' characters we've now met, and they'll be evolving in big, surprising ways, in Cap's next movie and Thor's next movie and of course in Iron Man 3, as we get them all into the next Avengers film. Beyond that, Ant-Man is the only one officially announced, but you probably don't have to look too far to guess at the next list of characters we're toying with and beginning to develop."

When pressed what other characters are being developed for Phase III, Kevin Feige confirmed that Doctor Strange is one of them.

"Doctor Strange, which I've been talking about for years, is definitely one of them. He's a great, original character, and he checks the box off this criteria that I have: he's totally different from anything else we have, just like Guardians of the Galaxy. He's totally different from anything we've done before, as is Ant-Man, which keeps us excited."

Ant-Man comes to theaters July 17th, 2015 and stars Paul Rudd, Michael Douglas, Michael Pena, Evangeline Lilly, Patrick Wilson, Corey Stoll, David Dastmalchian. The film is directed by Peyton Reed.

Doctor Strange is in development . The film is directed by Scott Derrickson.

Sources: MTV

1. undeadslayer4

nice more marvel character cant wait to see them

1 year agoby @undeadslayer4Flag

2. Sean

@masterofthemoon Yes that is true, unless he makes an unexpected cameo in The Avengers 2.

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

3. masterofthemoon

@themoviefanatic Because the Ant-Man movie will be made after Avengers 2!

1 year agoby @masterofthemoonFlag

4. Sean

@masterofthemoon I don't see why Ant-Man and Wasp wouldn't be in the Avengers 2.

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

@ginnilo All those characters you mentioned - the rights are owned by Fox. If it has anything to do with mutants...Fox owns it. Fantastic Four...Fox.

I agree that Fox give those rights up but there is no way they will do that. They are hanging on for dear life.

@ejk1 Your right about Blofeld, I forgot about that. But the point I was getting at is that the movies worked well as stand-alone adventures. You dont have to watch the 60's - 70's Bond's to enjoy the latest installment.

However, going in to the Avengers, it is quite helpful to have seen the previous phase I movies.

But ya, if people want to see more movies in their favorite franchise who cares what anyone else thinks. F*ck all! Thats my motto.

1 year agoby @skywiseFlag

@skywise Slightly disagree with you on Bond. With the exception of Goldfinger, the Connery films (and Lazenby's) were all connected by SPECTRE and Blofeld. The Moore films only occasionally referenced that thread (the two that come to mind are The Spy Who Loved Me and the beginning of For Your Eyes Only). Plus, it wasn't until the end of the Dalton Era (error?) that Bond received an extended break. 16 films, not including Never Say Never Again and 1967's Casino Royale, were made from 1962-89. That meant a Bond film was released slightly less than every two years apart. The breaks came because the writers had no idea where to go, and the audiences were bored. Your point about Marvel continuing only if audiences continue to go see them is spot on, but that leads directly to my point of these companies, not just Marvel, boxing themselves into limited series prospects. Why should something successful end after three films when crap gets made into, oh how many Friday The 13th's are there? Or Step Up's? People can bitch and moan about Transformers 4, Pirates 5, or Avengers Phase 3,4,and 5 if they want, but I'm not gonna do that. If these films make people go to the theater for the spectacle, I say great. And as long as people are willing, keep them coming.

1 year agoby @ejk1Flag

7. Josh

It's a good week to be a geek.

1 year agoby @shuabertFlag

8. Xenon

"Doctor Strange was mentioned in The Amazing Spiderman and in Raimi's first Spiderman film.

1 year agoby @xenon56Flag

9. Xenon

Oh Marvel you are my joy and my ever lasting friend. Yippy Ky ya

1 year agoby @xenon56Flag

10. Ginnilo

Why ant man? There are better and more exciting superheroes in the Marvel universe. Silver Surfer, X-Factor characters, Gambit, Human Torch, etc. Oh well......

1 year agoby @ginniloFlag

11. masterofthemoon

Love to see who gets cast as these guys! Also need to se Ant-Man in the Avengers too! Hope Wasp comes along for Ant-Man!

1 year agoby @masterofthemoonFlag

@bawnian-dexeus@ejk1 As far as Marvel backing off a bit to let the franchises breathe..I think it will all come down to money. IF the public continues to shell out their hard earned cash, they will continue doing what they do.

Talking about bond is a bit different because the stories (until recently) never really overlapped. There was no real cohesion except the same actors played the parts. But even 007 took a few years off here and there. Most notably after License to Kill and Die another Day. The character is viable though and the producers know that. He is constantly being updated for the current generation although there has been a lot of ups and downs in the series the movies can easily be adapted for modern audiences.

Marvel knows their business and I forsee them taking similar actions with their properties but I dont have that kind of faith in Fox or the other companies holding Marvel licenses. It seems they are just looking to make a quick buck and will dump a franchise at the first sign of nonprofit. Or continue rebooting, telling the same sotires over and over. That is the sort of thing that will turn audiences away.

1 year agoby @skywiseFlag

13. Vamp

Bad ASS! Love Doctor Strange, and I was really f*cking hoping that they'd bring him into the picture with Phase II or Phase III. A little bummed that it'll be a few years 'till we get to see where they go with him, but if it's as epic as everything we've been given in the cinematic universe so far, then I'm more than willing to wait. As far as Ant-Man is concerned, I don't know too much about the character, so I'll stand by Marvel, since so far they've done nothing to deter me from the Avengers world. Here's looking forward to the next three or four years!

1 year agoby @vampire2000Flag

14. Nicolas Bello

Great!

yamao.deviantart.com/gallery/24017723?offset=24#/d1p3xis

1 year agoby @nicolas-belloFlag

15. Bill Louis

MARVEL ROCKS AGAIN!!!!!!

1 year agoby @Bill-LouisFlag

@ejk1 On another related note, I'm surprised Strange isn't part of the Thanos phase. No doubt you'll tell me why eventually, but after you recommended me Infinity Gauntlet, I was kind of expecting him to be part of phase 3

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

17. ROFLitschristian

My nerd boner cannot get anymore erect than it currently is. Was kind of wishing Strange would get in earlier in the mix but better late than never. He's always been one of my favorites. Hopefully MARVEL ends Phase III as big and memorable as possible!

1 year agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

@bawnian-dexeus I get what you're saying about weariness, but really, what are we talking about here? Marvel's 3 films in a year, tops? Out of how many films every year? 100? 200? It's really a small percentage. We shouldn't penalize Marvel, or expect Marvel to penalize itself, because its films are generally received positively by the public.

1 year agoby @ejk1Flag

19. Fry_3000

Man I'll be and old man by he time they do strange , lol

1 year agoby @Fry-3000Flag

@ejk1 Heh, it never surprises me that James Bond makes the best example for a series counter argument. I guess I see your point. I just have this tick that in the next decade somewhere along the way someone will raise their hand and say "Uh, can we get a break from all the guys in tights?". A lot of what you said is valid enough to prove me wrong, but hey this is just me balancing my fanboy persona with my regular persona. 4 years ago I wouldn't be as weary as I am now, but given all the knowledge I've attained as a film major, I have a different look on Hollywood and the franchises .

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

@bawnian-dexeus I'm gonna disagree, for one reason: they have the material. This is what kills me about trilogies. Why saddle Spider-Man with a three film set, when there is enough material for more? James Bond is what, 23 movies? And some of the films aren't based on the novels. Yet comic book films have to be set in a world of trilogies? I would completely understand the rationale if they became uber-repetitive like Raimi's Spider-Man films, but if Marvel plays its cards right, why can't they go as far as they can? Even without being able to incorporate Dr. Doom or Galactus as villains, they can still go to the well for Ultron, Dormammu, Surtur, and maybe even Michael Korvac as singular supervillains, or have a team of supervillains like the Masters of Evil. There are so many ways they can go with their films. It would be shocking if they limit themselves.

Think of it this way: I remember you telling me how you want to make a Naruto film. let's say you get the chance, and if it's done right, you get a franchise out of the deal. How would you set it up, and in how many films? Think about how many episodes are in Naruto and Shippuden, all the key moments, and try to determine the length of the film series. I'll be very surprised if you only get three. Oh, don't answer the first part of the question here on MW. I don't want anyone trying to steal your ideas. I just want you to use that framework when thinking of how long your series would be, and then give me a number of films you think would do the series justice.

1 year agoby @ejk1Flag

22. Bane5000

It would be awesome and interesting to see how Phase 3 will be somewhat different from the recent films but still feels like it fits within the MCU...I say bring it on man, cant wait :]

1 year agoby @bane5000Flag

23. Bane5000

@thedude-abides...The Tick...SPOOOON :D

1 year agoby @bane5000Flag

@ejk1 Stupid question here, but can they really go as far as a 4th phase? I mean, so far it seems that Feige is calling the shots here. I've no problem with the movies but there has to be a break somewhere. obviously superhero projects are here to stay given the income they generate, but like I said, there has to be as break somewhere along the line without running them to the ground

1 year agoby @bawnian-dexeusFlag

25. Sean

Cool! I cannot wait for both movies!

1 year agoby @themoviefanaticFlag

26. thedude-abides

@ejk1 Lol. That'd be epic.

1 year agoby @thedude-abidesFlag