Anne Hathaway in Talks for 'Robopocalypse'

Tom Rothman will produce Steven Spielberg's sci-fi action film, which also has Chris Hemsworth in the running for the lead male role.
Anne Hathaway and Tom Rothman in talks for Robopocalypse
Anne Hathaway and Tom Rothman in talks for Robopocalypse
Fox chief Tom Rothman has signed on with DreamWorks to produce Steven Spielberg's upcoming sci-fi adaptation Robopocalypse. The project also has Chris Hemsworth (Thor: The Dark World) and Anne Hathaway (The Dark Knight Rises) in the running for lead roles. Here is the official press release issued by DreamWorks regarding Tom Rothman's involvement.

Tom Rothman will come on board to produce the science fiction epic, "Robopocalypse," it was announced today by Stacey Snider, Partner and Co-Chairman of DreamWorks Studios. Steven Spielberg is set to also produce and direct the DreamWorks and Twentieth Century Fox co-production.

The film will begin principal photography in early 2013 and will be released on April 25, 2014 day and date worldwide. The Walt Disney Studio's Touchstone Pictures will distribute the film domestically via its Touchstone Pictures with Twentieth Century Fox handling international distribution.

Exploring the fate of the human race following a robot uprising, "Robopocalypse" has been adapted for the screen by Drew Goddard, based on the novel of the same name by Daniel H. Wilson. DreamWorks acquired the rights to Wilson's unpublished manuscript in November 2009. Published by Doubleday on June 8, 2011, the book soon appeared on the New York Times Best Sellers list.

Said Steven Spielberg, "When someone like Tom is a free agent, you snatch him up fast. He has proven himself to be a necessity of this industry. At Fox he had already been an enthusiastic partner on 'Robopocalypse,' and it is to our advantage that he would come produce this film with me. Tom has been a wonderful friend and colleague over the years and DreamWorks is incredibly lucky to have him on board."

Said Tom Rothman, "If you are in politics, you dream of a call from the White House, in baseball, from the Yankees, in movies, from Steven Spielberg. 'Robopocalypse' is the kind of important epic entertainment, a big movie with big ideas, that Steven does better than any filmmaker on earth. I am honored beyond measure that he asked for my help on it and fired up to do whatever I can for him, Stacey, the outstanding DreamWorks team, and all of my friends at Fox. I enjoyed the idea of being unemployed for a week, but this will be way more fun."

Said Stacey Snider, "Tom was a fantastic studio chairman and his impeccable taste and passion for films will serve Steven, DreamWorks and this film well."

Tom Rothman recently resigned after 18 years at Twentieth Century Fox, the last 12 as Chairman and CEO. His transition will take place over the remainder of the year. Fox films made during his tenure earned over $30 billion at the worldwide box office, were nominated for over 100 Academy Awards, and won three Best Picture Oscars.

Robopocalypse is in development and stars Chris Hemsworth, Anne Hathaway, Ben Whishaw. The film is directed by Steven Spielberg.

Sources: Deadline

1. THE JOKER

@Number1Wolverine Yeah... the film itself I am thinking will be amazing! I have no worries for it at all whatsoever!

Haha I am glad to make you laugh! I wouldn't be a very good Joker if I didn't! XD

2. BERSERKER

@mcleve02 - The crapfest comment about Crystal skull lol. When I look at it that way I guess your right, it just was unnecessary long for me when it didn't need to be, good acting shows regardless of how long a trailer is.

2 years agoby @Number1WolverineFlag

3. THE JOKER

@Number1Wolverine haha which of my many comments made you laugh? See I think people just need ti understand what the trailer for Lincoln was doing... I look at it as a campaign ad... He was showing off the "Oscar worthiness" not the actual film itself... if that makes sense! But I definitely agree... he seems to be back, and I am very happy about that!

4. BERSERKER

@mcleve02 - BAAAHAHAHAHAHA! :). Well let's see, The Adventures of Tintin was good, but hold up he had alot of help with that. Didn't see War Horse, and probably will never see it. And Lincoln looks ok, so he still has ways to go for me personally to show that the old Spielberg is back. I'm rooting for him, so hopefully Robopocalypse will be the film that brings flashes back from the good old glory days.

@bawnian-dexeus - Wow you don't have a problem with Crystal Skull, that's unheard of. I have to go back and watch it again because I fall asleep 30 minutes into the movie, before Shia even came on screen so I can't blame him either for now until I watch it again. And Hathaway looks smoking hot with that short haircut to me, not many women out there can pull off a short hair cut.

2 years agoby @Number1WolverineFlag

5. THE JOKER

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx (Peter Griffin voice) You bastard...

6. Nicholaus XX

@mcleve02@bawnian-dexeus -- I was actually glad she died. Lol.

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

7. THE JOKER

@bawnian-dexeus Cry... haha

8. THE JOKER

@bawnian-dexeus Cry... haha

2 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

@mcleve02 A hiccup, yes. But, what can you do?

10. THE JOKER

@bawnian-dexeus SPOILES!!!!

My heart sank when she died in the beginning... I was depressed the rest of the movie!

11. THE JOKER

@bawnian-dexeus Yes she is... have You seen the second Sherlock Holmes before I say my next comment?

@mcleve02 She's just that girl

13. THE JOKER

@bawnian-dexeus It's short for Les Miserables... I am sure she is going to...

and yeah, very true... and Oh I do love Rachel... I don't even know what it is about her... her smile and long dark curly hair... mmm

2 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

On another note, Anne needs to grow her hair back. Short look makes her look aged or a distant sister of Mulligan

@mcleve02 The man can do drama. Of that I am certain. Transformers...think of it as McAdams and Mean Girls: They all get put on the map with something in their careers.

16. THE JOKER

@bawnian-dexeus In not franchise movies... haha I also liked him in Disturbia as well

2 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

@mcleve02 I could have been wrong. You could have been talking about Lucas. I have no beef with Shia. Sure, he's had some moments but Even Stevens is still classic and after Lawless, the youngster can deliver

18. THE JOKER

@bawnian-dexeus How did you guess that?! ;)

19. THE JOKER

@bawnian-dexeus haha I just think that whole movie was a bad idea... the ending which we shall never speak of again... involving an actor who kills franchises... >X(

2 years agoby @mcleve02Flag

@mcleve02 Well, you can't really put the blame on him in the end. It was the usual collaboration after all

I still don't see the problem with Crystal Skull...minus the monkeys

22. THE JOKER

@Number1Wolverine Thanks a lot I had that crapfest completely out of my head until that! ;P

But seriously, his films he is doing now are showing the old Spielberg may be back! Lord knows we hope he is!

23. BERSERKER

@mcleve02 -
    Let's hope so, Spielberg has been slipping since the disaster Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull :(.

2 years agoby @Number1WolverineFlag

24. ROFLitschristian

Anne Hathaway could be "in talks" for anything I'd accept it.

2 years agoby @ROFLitschristianFlag

25. CUPID

Interested in the movie, but not Hathaway.

2 years agoby @cupidFlag