'Akira' Wants Zac Efron

It seems Warner Bros. has an offer out to the young star for this upcoming Anime adapation.
Zac Efron offered the lead role in Akira remake
Zac Efron offered the lead role in Akira remake
The latest issue of Production Weekly indicates that young actor Zac Efron has been offered the starring role in Akira.

We last reported on this Warner Bros. project back in February, when we learned that The Hughes Brothers (Albert Hughes and Allen Hughes) were directing. Albert Torres is writing the new screenplay for the Anime adaptation, which is a remake of the 1988 classic Akira. Here's a plot description for the remake from Production Weekly:

"Neo-Tokyo has risen from the ashes of World War III to become a dark and dangerous megalopolis infested with gangs and terrorists. The government seethes with corruption and only maintains a token control over the powerful military that prevents total chaos and hides the secrets of the past. Childhood friends Tetsuo and Kaneda plunge into Neo-Tokyo's darkest secret when their motorcycle gang encounters a military operation to retrieve an escaped experimental subject. Tetsuo, captured by the military, is subjected to experiments that make him a powerful psychic, but, unfortunately for Neo-Tokyo, Tetsuo's powers rage out of control and he lashes out at the world that has oppressed him! Nothing can stop the destructive forces that Tetsuo wields except possibly the last boy to destroy Tokyo."

Leonardo DiCaprio is producing the movie through his Appian Way company. Andrew Lazar, Jon Jashni and Jennifer Davisson Killoran are also producing.

Akira is in development and stars Garrett Hedlund, Kristen Stewart, Ken Watanabe. The film is directed by Jaume Collet-Serra.

Sources: Production Weekly

1. Tevii

Of course its possible its chaanged again... but it'll be hard to make a two movie version of the anime

4 years agoby @teviiFlag

2. Tevii

@J_A_OTTLEY- Ive been following this story for years and I think whoever wrote this article made a mistake. The movie is NOT an adaptation of the anime, but of the manga. The quote doesnt specify either way.
    @smajor7 @Raging_Luis85 @Newtron - this movie is not being set in Japan. The Live action movie is set in the U.S.

4 years agoby @teviiFlag

3. Jay.A.Ottley

@Supes

Google what the BFI do, were literally the British equivalent to the AFI, We do a lot of stuff especially with a lot of people in film.

@Narrator
    duly noted, atm the UK has been hit hard by the recession, and well we never had much of a film stature in the UK, aside from Hammer House, BBC and when we do co-produces with the U.S for our big films alla Bond & HP franchises.
    I got the script to Akira somewhere, if i find it i'll be glad to email it to you

4 years agoby @jayaottleyFlag

@Narrator, your previous comment, "this adaption is being set in chicago, so the "he's not japanese" argument is futile," brings up an interesting problem. If they use American actors for these roles(I don't know if all are, but let's say yes just for argument's sake), should they change the names of the characters? And if they change the location and the names of the characters, is it really the same product? I only bring this up because it's an annoyance of mine, especially since Warner Bros. bought the rights to Bleach earlier this year. In your opinion, where should Hollywood draw the line when "Americanizing" anime for feature length purposes? Does it change for each project?

4 years agoby @ejk1Flag

Oh come on, @Narrator, don't you know @Ottley sits in on super secret Star Wars meetings, is close pals with Snyder, related to Nolan, and Clint Eastwood is his grandpa? Jeez, get with the program, man.

4 years agoby @dan1Flag

@Dave, the Book of Eli script was fairly well done. I mean they executed it great, so you can hardly tell its flaws, and the pacing was fine. Every character served its purpose and everything was tied up by the end of the film. Sorry, but there have been far worser scripts for movies this year. About 85% of them in fact. And again, Leonardo wouldn't attach himself to this project, and pitch it to the studios if he wasn't sure.

@J_A, Leonardo is a fan of Akira, and he is directly producing this film. Also, sorry man, but I will not judge this film until I have something solid to stand on. No offense, but I have yet to see any of your other "projects" or inside access come to fruition.

4 years agoby @narratorFlag

7. Jay.A.Ottley

@Narrator, I firmly concur with @Dave

Its only Appian Way that are involved majorily in this, I don't think Leo is having a massive say, Leo is a big Akira fan....And if i read that Hughes bro script, I wouldn't have picked it up or just told them start from scratch

4 years agoby @jayaottleyFlag

Not familiar with Akira. All I can say is if DiCaprio is involved, I'll give it a chance.

4 years agoby @dan1Flag

9. Daveactor7

@Narrator idk the hughe bros cant really tell a good script from a bad one. "the book of eli" had a pretty boring script

4 years agoby @daveactor7Flag

Guys, this adaption is being set in chicago, so the "he's not japanese" argument is futile.

@JA, I'll judge for myself whe nthe film comes out. DiCaprio wouldn't produce a film that had a bad script attached, and the Hughes bros. wouldn't helm one.

4 years agoby @narratorFlag

11. Daveactor7

Well I have to admit casting a white actor in a asian role. This is just like the last airbender casting. It came out horrible nonetheless...

4 years agoby @daveactor7Flag

12. Jay.A.Ottley

@tevii unfortunately Akira Pt.1 sucks big squirrel nuts

And if you read the article carefully its a remake of the 1988 anime movie which is based off the 1980s manga

4 years agoby @jayaottleyFlag

13. Tevii

@angelheart1016.... Fortunately they arent making an adaptation of the Akira anime. It is a two movie adaptation of the manga.... which is much much better... its epic

4 years agoby @teviiFlag

14. smajor7

@Raging_Luis85 and @Newtron SERIOUSLY!! why isn't anyone bringing that up??

4 years agoby @smajor7Flag

15. Summit10

are you kidding me??!?!?!

4 years agoby @summit10Flag

16. Jay.A.Ottley

And to add to that note the screenplay is awful

4 years agoby @jayaottleyFlag

17. Jay.A.Ottley

Casting director and Zac Efron shouldn't definately walk off a bridge :)

Sorry this is like one of the worst casting decisions ever

4 years agoby @jayaottleyFlag

18. Newtron

Uhhh....Zac Efron? Japanese actors to play a Japanese character? It's so crazy it just might work :I Zac Efron is a bad choice in my opinion

4 years agoby @newtronFlag

19. Raging_Luis85

I haven't gone through all the posts on this subject, but has anybody brought up the fact that Akira takes place in f*cking Tokyo, and Zac Efron is NOT F*CKING JAPANESE?!?!?! Lets cast an all American group for a story set in Japan, that makes complete Hollywood sense to me.

4 years agoby @raging-luis85Flag

20. Diaigma

@Daveactor7 - younger? They plan to do a young Jeff Bridges on us? :P
    @The Narrator - I hear ya, and that's not a bad cast choice, either.

4 years agoby @diaigmaFlag

21. Goodbye

Junk food of movies?
    lol Good one.

4 years agoby @drifter49Flag

22. angelheart1016

@TheDrifter. Totally agree with you, hope they get a great director and a good budget to turn Vampire Hunter D into a great movie, Michael Bay and Twilight...well, they are like the Junk Food of movies.

4 years agoby @angelheart1016Flag

23. Goodbye

@angelheart:I have to agree with you there.Vampire Hunter D is a masterpiece and would make one hell of killer live action movie.Providing they get the right director and cast.And have the right script writer.
    In other words.Dont let anyone like Michael Bay or the people behind Twilight touch it.

4 years agoby @drifter49Flag

24. angelheart1016

Actually, Akira was not a great movie but only for its animation achievement. I do hope that they can turn Vampire Hunter D into a live action movie because it was a master piece.

4 years agoby @angelheart1016Flag

25. Whiskeythieves

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

4 years agoby @whiskeythievesFlag

26. Daveactor7

@Narrator im mad u misspelled Daniel Radcliffes name lol

4 years agoby @daveactor7Flag

My Akira cast:

Kaneda - Zac Efron
    Tetsuo - Aaron Johnson
    Kei - Kristen Kreuk!
    The Colonel - Gary Oldman could do the role without making it campy
    Kaori - An uknown is fine here
    Akira - Danielle Radcliff (if they went a little older)
    The Espers - some talented child actors. I can't name any right now. :P

4 years agoby @narratorFlag

28. I AM FRATSON

I think if Efron can pull this role off. Huge for his career. Im just glad he is trying to get away from the teenie boppers.

4 years agoby @iamfratsonFlag

@Diaigma, I wouldn't mind DiCaprio being in the film. He's just too old or too young for any of the main characters. I'd say producing and a cameo should be enough.

As for someone to play Tetsuo... I'd love to see Aaron Johnson play Tetsuo. Who's with me?

4 years agoby @narratorFlag

30. Daveactor7

@Diaigma you mean dicaprio now or younger??

4 years agoby @daveactor7Flag