Adam Sandler Joins 'Candyland'

Kevin Lima is attached to direct this live-action adaptation of the popular Hasbro board game for Columbia Pictures.
Adam Sandler will star in Candy Land for Columbia Pictures
Adam Sandler will star in Candy Land for Columbia Pictures
Columbia Pictures, Happy Madison and Hasbro, Inc. are in final talks to develop Candy Land, a live action movie based on the bestselling Hasbro board game with Adam Sandler attached to star, it was jointly announced today by Doug Belgrad, President of Columbia Pictures, Hannah Minghella, President of Production for Columbia Pictures, and Brian Goldner, Hasbro President and CEO. Kevin Lima (Enchanted) is attached to direct the project for the studio with Sandler and Robert Smigel in talks to write the screenplay.

Commenting on the announcement, Belgrad said, "Candy Land is more than just a game. It is a brand that children, parents and grandparents know and love. The world of Candy Land offers an extraordinary canvas upon which to create a fantastical, live-action family adventure film with a larger than life part for Adam. We are thrilled to partner with Hasbro and Happy Madison on this project."

"The creative talent on board for this movie is amazing and we are excited to bring alive the world of Candy Land for kids and families everywhere," Goldner added. "Sony/Columbia has been a wonderful creative partner as we develop another of our games, Risk, for the big screen. We are looking forward to working with Sony/Columbia and Adam Sandler and his team at Happy Madison Productions on this film."

Candy Land is one of the most beloved and best known games of all time. Created in 1949, it has been played by generations of families. In the game, players go on a magical journey through fantastical lands made of candy, sweets, and ice cream: the Peppermint Forest, the Gum Drop Mountains, and the Lollypop Woods. Along the way, players encounter such iconic characters as Princess Frostine, Lord Licorice, Mr. Mint, and King Candy.

The project will be produced by Goldner (Transformers) and Hasbro's Senior Vice President and Managing Director of Motion Pictures, Bennett Schneir (Battleship) along with Happy Madison Productions. At Columbia, development of Candy Land will be overseen by Samuel Dickerman.

Candy Land was released in 2013 and stars Adam Sandler. The film is directed by Kevin Lima.

Sources: Columbia Pictures

1. Salemwolf711

Adam Sandler needs to retie he is nothing but a walking hack...

2 years agoby @Salemwolf711Flag

2. BERSERKER

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx - Oh ok, and yea The Wedding Singer was on damn near on everyday when I was a little kid. But it is funny as hell, so your right. I still think Adam has some creative talent left in him, he just needs to fire has agent who picks out these terrible roles for him.

2 years agoby @Number1WolverineFlag

3. MovieManiac

Gave up on Sandler years ago.

2 years agoby @moviemaniac66Flag

4. JonSpidey07

Happy Madison + Adam Sandler + this movie based on a boardgame = donkeysh*t straight up :(

2 years agoby @jonspidey07Flag

5. Nicholaus XX

@Number1Wolverine -- I've seen a little bit of "The Water Boy" when I was younger, but only small bits - I really liked it, at that time. I don't think I've seen "Billy Madison". So, that's probably why? I also remember watching "The Wedding Singer" a lot when I was a kid, and I thought it was pretty funny.

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

6. BERSERKER

@2movieguys - Pretty much.

@thedude1@corey - I agree.

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx - How can we give up on a guy who made classics like The Water Boy, and Billy Madison. But you are some what right, I don't know what the hell is going on with him. He most need a new agent. I agree with the cast of Grown Up's I thought it was going to be a classic, boy was I wrong. And it's not that I have a problem with him starring In Candyland, it's just that it reminds me of his film Bedtime Stories

2 years agoby @Number1WolverineFlag

7. Nicholaus XX

@thedude1 -- I mean, do you think he will star in a movie that is actually good. Eh, I laughed twice on that one. It was mostly because the movie was just so stupid and childish, though. Well, that kind of supports my theory -- "Grown Ups" was a bad movie, so his previous movies must've been terrible.

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

8. TheDude1

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx I don't know what you mean by "worth anything". I know his movies aren't loved by everyone and certainly not by the critics but I thought Grown Ups was hilarious. One of his best comedies he has done many in years.

2 years agoby @thedude1Flag

9. Nicholaus XX

@bawnian-dexeus -- Oh, yeah. I heard that was pretty good. I have yet to see it, though.

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx I think he should do another serious drama like Reign Over Me

11. Nicholaus XX

@2movieguys -- It seems like it.

@corey@thedude1 -- You guys are some pretty dedicated fans. If I were a fan of him, I would've given up. Do you guys think he's going to star in a movie that's actually worth anything in the future?

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

12. incmob

man, sandler is just screwing the pooch these days.... this sounds terrible

2 years agoby @incmobFlag

13. Corey W.

I don't like the idea of a Candyland movie...but I love Adam Sandler!

2 years agoby @coreyFlag

14. TheDude1

I'm a huge Adam Sandler fan but this is such a stupid idea. Won't be seeing this movie.

2 years agoby @thedude1Flag

15. CelluloidDreams

is Hollywood "THAT" bored...they ran out of ideas!??.

2 years agoby @2movieguysFlag