A Sequel to 'The Phantom' Coming?

It seems this new project is in fact a remake of the 1996 film and not a sequel.
It seems a 1996 superhero film is being sequelized down under. According to Associated Press, a sequel to the 1996 film The Phantom is happening in Australia.

The film will be budgeted at $87 million and will center on, "the Father/Son relationship, and what it means to be The Phantom," screenwriter Tim Boyle said in a statement. "The film will be set in the present day and will deal with the concept of destiny."

The original film starred Billy Zane as the title character, but it wasn't clear if he was returning for the sequel. It was said that the production is eyeing up several prominent American and Australian actors for the film, but they would not release names.

Filming should commence in Australia between the next six and nine months.

UPDATE: (9:15 AM, 12/16/08)

Screenwriter Tim Boyle has updated his MySpace page with some new information that this project is not a sequel, but a reboot of the original film. He gave a quick update on the film, which will be titled Phantom: Legacy, which you can read below.

Now that we've sort of got those 'Sequel' rumors under control, I guess I can start talking about what we're doing and where the project is at.

First of all, I've got to say - this is a very exciting time. Being able to bring the first masked comic superhero back to the big screen is an absolute honor. I've been researching The Phantom intensely for the last year or so and I've been working with the support of King Features Syndicate to try and bring you the tightest possible film. Yes, this is a new look at the comic book hero, but rest assured - He wont be 'heavily gadget man' (as that is another comic book hero named Batman) and he wont be an 'angry mob killer' (as 'The Punisher' -Frank Castle has been made into a film 3 times - remember the Dolph Lundgren film - that too was shot in Australia... old skool). He will be, without doubt 'The Phantom'. A man who has sworn an oath to protect - but at what cost?

The Phantom was released June 7th, 1996 and stars Billy Zane, Kristy Swanson, Treat Williams, Catherine Zeta-Jones, James Remar, Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa, Bill Smitrovich, Casey Siemaszko. The film is directed by Simon Wincer.

1. TXCANY

Add this to one to "Another unnecessary or desired sequel" column.

6 years agoby @txcanyFlag

2. killerman200

as long as there is no Alec Baldwin.

6 years agoby @killerman200Flag

3. Chad Vital

The Phantom didn't do well at all, I don't even remember if it was in the theater or not. I saw it on VHS whoo! lol.

I agree with you Kirk, The Shadow needs a sequel. Well actually, it deserves to be bigger than it was. I'd say, a reboot or remake to give it justice. Then if it does well, do a sequel. I know that's popular but who wouldn't like to see a big budget The Shadow movie? The last one wasn't bad but it coulda been so much more.

6 years agoby @chad-vitalFlag

4. knobie09

make it good this time,please?

6 years agoby @knobie09Flag

5. killerman200

Oops, my fault.

6 years agoby @killerman200Flag

6. gumperman

i don't think anyone is going to see it either! by the way it was jason patric who replaced keanu reeves in speed 2, not billy zane.

6 years agoby @gumpermanFlag

7. killerman200

I can only think this film ending up being direct to video. I mean who's going to see this. Btw, Zane was a bad replacement for Reeves in Speed 2.

6 years agoby @killerman200Flag

8. RingWraither

A sequel? I rather see a reboot than a sequel....

6 years agoby @ringwraitherFlag

9. Shelley

Sorry Billy, but I think someone younger should get the part. Not that 42 is old, but I think younger would be better.

6 years agoby @shelleyFlag

10. Diaigma

A sequel after over a decade? Treading on thin ice is safer, I think.

6 years agoby @diaigmaFlag

11. KirkEpsilon

what we need is some more of The Shadow now that movie was awesome

6 years agoby @kirkepsilonFlag

12. Chad Vital

Lmao I remember watching this movie thinking it was going to be awesome.

6 years agoby @chad-vitalFlag

13. KirkEpsilon

Please God! No Billy Zane! He was ok in the original but the movie just stunk all over. Time for some new stuff

6 years agoby @kirkepsilonFlag