'85th Annual Academy Awards' Nominations

'Lincoln' leads the pack with 12 nominations including Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Actor.
Nominations for the 85th Annual Academy Awards were announced today by Oscar host Seth MacFarlane and actress Emma Stone.

Academy Awards for outstanding film achievements of 2012 will be presented on Oscar Sunday, February 24, 2013, at the Dolby Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center, and televised live on the ABC Television Network. The Oscar presentation also will be televised live in more than 225 countries worldwide.

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM:

BEST COSTUME DESIGN:

BEST FILM EDITING

BEST MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING:

BEST ORIGINAL SONG:

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE:

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN:

• Anna Karenina - Sarah Greenwood (Production Design); Katie Spencer (Set Decoration)
  • Les Miserables - Eve Stewart (Production Design); (Set Decoration)
  • Life of Pi - David Gropman (Production Design); Anna Pinnock (Set Decoration)
  • Lincoln - Rick Carter (Production Design); Jim Erickson (Set Decoration)
  • The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Dan Hennah (Production Design); Ra Vincent and Simon Bright (Set Decoration)

BEST SOUND MIXING:

• Argo - John Reitz, Gregg Rudloff and Jose Antonio Garcia
  • Les Miserables - Andy Nelson, Mark Paterson and Simon Hayes
  • Life of Pi - Ron Bartlett, D.M. Hemphill and Drew Kunin
  • Lincoln - Andy Nelson, Gary Rydstrom and Ronald Judkins
  • Skyfall - Scott Millan, Greg P. Russell and Stuart Wilson

BEST SOUND EDITING:

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS:

BEST ANIMATED SHORT FILM:

BEST LIVE-ACTION SHORT FILM:

Sources: Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences

1. Nicholaus XX

@narrator -- For clarification, I was referring to the television show; not the manga.

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

@bawnian-dexeus - I was just surprised is all. No offense to @XxNickTheFilmCriticXx, but I felt as though his dislike for comics - their repetitive ethos and all - would carry over to the equally assailable medium called "manga". I take it I presumed too much, but I'll say that it's a pleasant surprise.

@thedude-abides - I have yet to see the film, but I have a feeling I'll agree. De Niro hasn't starred in anything good this decade. As I'll be able to support come Friday, when I see the film, Leonardo should have gotten the nomination instead.

2 years agoby @narratorFlag

3. thedude-abides

@stoned Completely agree. Just because the movie was better than any movie he'd been in for the past 10 years doesn't warrant the kind of praise he's been getting for his performance, which was just okay, in my opinion.

2 years agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

4. TheStonedReviewer

i'm sorry, I know Rob Deniro was better than hes been for at least 15 years in SLP but does that make him deserve a nom?

2 years agoby @stonedFlag

5. Nicholaus XX

@ejk1 -- Now that I'm doing more research on it, the ending before the ending seems darker and more brutal in the manga. It's the 'cult' bit that sugarcoats the conclusion, and I'm utterly repulsed by that. In the television show, there were no loose ends. Seems like both endings have their pros, and their faults.

I was shocked by L's death; I researched the show more than I should've, and came across brief spoilers regarding his demise, but I exited those sources before I read anything significant to the future episodes. But, when it actually happened, I couldn't believe it. Albeit, it took a couple of episodes for the show to get back on it's toes, but when it did, it enthralled.

I'm inclined to agree with your closing statement, though.

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx The cult following is somewhat of a cliche, saying that the man may die, but the idea lingers on. So on that point I'm inclined to agree. But, the resolution of Light's story was just done better in the manga, at least in my opinion. And don't get me wrong, I love Death Note, and thought it was very well done for much of the story, but L's death was just a bad twist, compounded by the fact that he was replaced by two characters that split up his personality traits into two characters. If it was one eccentric character with his/her own unique set of traits, Death Note would have been much better off.

2 years agoby @ejk1Flag

7. Nicholaus XX

@ejk1 -- I read what happened on Wikipedia, I think. I think I saw some images of the ending from the manga, and strongly disliked the idea of a cult following.

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx I thought you read it already.

2 years agoby @ejk1Flag

9. Nicholaus XX

@ejk1 -- I'll try reading the manga some day, and finalize which one I like best.

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx Well, that's the way you see it. In my opinion, Ryuk's taking of Light's life face to face was a far more incredible moment than him Sitting aloof on that tower while Light was running.

2 years agoby @ejk1Flag

11. Nicholaus XX

@ejk1 -- Again, I disagree. I read what happened, and it doesn't seem to be nearly as profound as the show''s ending.

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

@narrator Who doesn't love DN?

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx Finale is much better in the manga, but either way it was ridiculous to kill L only to split his personality into two new characters, Mello and Near. Just foolish of Ohba to do.

2 years agoby @ejk1Flag

14. Nicholaus XX

@ejk1 -- I strongly disagree. The finale couldn't have been any better.

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

@Krzysztof-arw Off the map, lol.

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx Death Note with L: A
    Death Note after L: C

2 years agoby @ejk1Flag

16. thedude-abides

@narrator Well said, man. Phoenix basically ruined any chances he had of winning by his antics in recent months. I believe one interview he gave while making the promotional rounds for The Master lasted for only 14 seconds before walking away, pissed off. And when he did take time out for interviews, he always found a way to bash the Academy. Needless to say, I think you're right; it looks like it'll be between Jackman and Day-Lewis.

2 years agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

17. Krzysztof Żarów

Where is "Cloud Atlas" ???

2 years agoby @Krzysztof-arwFlag

18. Nicholaus XX

@ejk1 -- Oh, it does. In ways you'll never know.

@narrator -- I'd happily agree to disagree to end this charade before it gets overblown. But, I will say this; I'm as shocked as you when it comes to the nomination of "Avatar" - it doesn't make any sense.

Why is that? Death Note was an outstanding show.

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

19. Chris

Terrible just freaking terrible. TDKR, Looper and Skyfall got screwed over big-time

2 years agoby @unknown21Flag

@ejk1 You said it perfectly. "Whie I am not as enamored with TSN as you, I agree that Hollywood tends to outsmart itself by giving love to films almost no one has seen. It's their attempt to be 'cool and thoughtful.'" I couldn't agree more, man.

On the subject of Best Actor, I believe that they may just allow Lewis to walk away with the little golden man. It'll be difficult for either Washington or Cooper to bring it home. The former has previously won two Oscars, not to mention his performance was in a film that basically flew over most peoples radar (pardon the pun), and the latter's performance - from what I hear - was definitely good but not necessarily great. Jackman stands a better chance than I'd originally expected. I had believed he would have easily been dismissed by the Academy. I'm glad that wasn't the case this time. Phoenix might have gotten it had The Master not been shrouded in uncertainty this awards season. As it is, I feel the film was subtly snubbed by the hesitant Academy who were disappointed in the film, and simply nominated it for the things that weren't arguable: the picture's performances. Thus, Phoenix's chances, fantastic performance or not, aren't looking great. I'm sure @thedude-abides just loves that. Lol. So yeah, all in all, I'd say Lewis has a very solid chance of defining the fates here.

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx We're just never going to come to an agreement on this, then. While using my theaters reaction may be a moot point, it's a point used often nonetheless. As I see it, our opinions (and they are simply our personal opinions) will only ever cancel each other out. I loved District 9 and Looper both, and while I don't feel the latter was exactly on par with the former, I at least believe they were within the same great league. You clearly feel different. We'll just agree to disagree. Still, I don't see why the film couldn't have been nominated. Traditions of the Academy aside, which have slowly been making exceptions for films like this, it was still within the top ten mainstream films of the year. After all, Avatar was one of the most generic, cheesy films of the decade. Yet, it still managed to enthrall audiences and earn a nomination, but whatever. I can't change the Academy's choices or your mind, and vice versa, so I guess we'll agree to leave it at that.

On a side note, I'm honestly surprised you're into Death Note.

2 years agoby @narratorFlag

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx That video has nothing to do with the soon to be Academy darling, Smurfs 2.

2 years agoby @ejk1Flag

22. Nicholaus XX

@ejk1 -- Bleh.

@thedude-abides -- You hit the nail on the head. Needless to say, you saved me obligatory countering. Thanks, a lot.

@corey -- Read the Dude's post to see my response to your latter statement.

@narrator -- Yeah, my theatre enjoyed "The Green Hornet"; doesn't mean I'm going to give them any credit. So, in a way, you're point is kind of moot. It was a stupid scene, humorous or not. That was just an example; I would've used "Lincoln" as a prime example had I not done so earlier to make my point to Corey. That, and the fact that I don't know how you felt about said film. The villain in "District 9" wasn't laughable; he was, however, quite 2-dimensional, and even that might be a compliment. Still, the villain in "Looper" was given seemingly less screen-time, and to an extent, an absent villain is not a villain at all.

You can compare them; you're entitled to that. I'm just not fond of the notion that they're both in the same league; they're not. "District 9", again, was arguably better in all merits. Now, you're going to point out how I say that as a fact, and f*ck me if I am. And where you're coming from, you're probably in the majority, as both films receive equal praise. But, in my mind, there's no comparison; "District 9" compels, and delivers. You may think I'm shooting down anything you might have else to say, but I'm really not. It's just that I've done as much as I could to elaborate to you on my thoughts and opinions on the matter, and feel as though if I were to say anymore regarding this subtopic, I'd be repeating myself.

Your turn.

I don't recall any clunky editing, questionable performances, or over emotional moviegoers. I've seen topics where people would admit to being far from sensitive, but the film still got to them. Hell, it almost got to me. You mislead me, for a second, there. Our overall ratings aren't that far off; as I thought it was really good. A 7/10 on your end, and a 7.8/10 on mine - I presume?

And as I told Corey, read the Dude's post for a response concerning your closing statement.

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

@bawnian-dexeus It'll be Smurftacular...

2 years agoby @ejk1Flag

24. thedude-abides

@ejk1 Reading through many of the posts, I must say, great points all throughout this article.

2 years agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

25. thedude-abides

@corey@narrator I agree with both of you, in part, as do I, in part, with @XxNickTheFilmCriticXx. Forgive me if I seem like I'm coming to his defense, but I think all three of you raise valid points...

Personally, I thought Looper was very much like the first two Terminators. If you read my review, the quote says, "The Terminator meets Road to Perdition." For now, I'll forego explaining the similarities to the latter and stick to the former, which I'm sure everyone here is familiar with...

Both Terminator and Looper did have similar story elements in the sense that both had antagonistic time traveler's sent back in time to destroy a little boy (in T1 it was an unborn child), whose fate would ultimately change the course of human history. Both Terminator and Looper had protagonists who protected said child from their opposite, time-traveling number. And let's not forget about the similarities between Linda Hamilton and Emily Blunt's characters -- two very similar character archetypes who would do anything to protect their son.

So, in Nick's defense, I see what he's getting at there. However, that being said, I thoroughly enjoyed the film, although I liked it a lot less the second time around after noticing some of the more glaring weaknesses nick alluded to, more specifically, the the sentimentality. I did find it to be very corny in the last third of the film, which I didn't particularly notice or take exception to my first time seeing it.

In any case, I still have it as one of my 10-best of 2012, and personally, if for no other reason than the fact that I appreciated it more than the majority of films that came out this year, I would've liked to have seen it receive a nomination.

As for Nick's comment about action films not being nominated, I think he's referring more to the stigma the genre carries with voters. Much like comedies or horror movies, a lot of them seem to get overlooked for seemingly unjustifiable reasons, as I'm sure we can all agree.

Up until recently, the academy has never been fond of nominating action flicks. Like @narrator pointed out, films like District 9, Avatar, and even Inception have seen the trend reversed somewhat in recent years; but, that's not without leaving a lot of great action flicks in their wake that have been shunned in the past, including the likes of T1 & T2, Die Hard, The Matrix, etc. So, again, I agree with all three of you.

The rest I leave between the three of you to quibble and debate amongst yourselves, lol. Sorry for the intrusion!

2 years agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

@ejk1 Lol, I would love to see your review for that movie

27. Corey W.

@XxNickTheFilmCriticXx Agree with @narrator one hundred percent. Just because it's an action movie doesn't mean anything. If anything, the Academy should have nominated Looper for being such a successful action film. We hardly see great science-fiction pieces as original as Looper anymore. You calling it the same thing as The Terminator? Watch both movies back to back. Both extremely different. Sure they both have to do with time-travel, but they both have different stories.

2 years agoby @coreyFlag

28. Courtney O.

so happy to see Beast of the Southern Wild in the running. Amazing!!

2 years agoby @chickflickFlag

29. K.Guy

@corey Too late! You already said the score was the only thing nomination worthy. :3

2 years agoby @kguyFlag

@bawnian-dexeus Dicaprio is simply in the John Wayne/Paul Newman position in that he will eventually be rewarded for a performance that is nowhere near his best, kind of like a dog finally being thrown his bone after his best work is behind him. You can even say the same for Scorsese, but he's a director. Shame on Academy voters.

@narrator Whie I am not as enamored with TSN as you, I agree that Hollywood tends to outsmart itself by giving love to films almost no one has seen. It's their attempt to be "cool and thoughtful." However, most people would rather see films they have actually seen be nominated for these awards. And while Skyfall is assuredly not the Best Film, I see no reason to not nominate it, especially with the honors the Bond series is getting this year.

Finally, I could care less about the Academy Awards this year, save for DDL's chances. I look forward to next year, when The Smurfs 2 will amazingly sweep the show, with the tiniest brooms imaginable.

2 years agoby @ejk1Flag