5th 'Bourne' Movie May Team Up Matt Damon and Jeremy Renner

Producer Frank Marshall revealed it would be his dream to see Jason Bourne and 'The Bourne Legacy''s Aaron Cross join forces.
Matt Damon and Jeremy Renner may team up in a fifth Bourne movie
Matt Damon and Jeremy Renner may team up in a fifth Bourne movie
Universal Pictures is continuing on with its lucrative Jason Bourne franchise with the spin-off The Bourne Legacy, which follows a new Treadstone operative named Aaron Cross (Jeremy Renner). Producer Frank Marshall revealed in an interview that he ultimately wants to see Aaron Cross meet up with Matt Damon's Jason Bourne in a fifth adventure.

"You see there are several different programs in the movie with different skill sets. All possibilities are open. My dream is that in the next one we see Matt and Jeremy team up."

Universal hasn't announced any plans beyond The Bourne Legacy, although this "dream" pairing would certainly be intriguing to watch. Jeremy Renner also spoke about the differences between Aaron Cross and Jason Bourne.

"He's coming from a completely different background to Jason [Bourne]. He knows exactly who he is; he signed up to this...He wants to be part of a team. I can tell you he was in the military then he joined the programme. He's a person who wants to be part of something... to have a sense of purpose. But then it's taken away."

Writer-director Tony Gilroy also spoke about expanding the Bourne mythology with this new adventure.

"If you think of the first three Bourne films as Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, then we're showing you Elsinore. You thought you were seeing something you weren't. What if there's a much larger story? What if Treadstone wasn't the only black-ops program? I had never spent one moment thinking about how to do a sequel to The Bourne Ultimatum. I first came in for two weeks just to spitball. I had a very random idea... so we started with that and it got more and more exciting. All of a sudden I was staring at something that had a great deal of resonance and was soulful and uncynical and was also gonna kick ass. So that was good."

We reported last week that Universal moved The Bourne Legacy's release up one week to August 10, to put some distance between it and the eventual blockbuster The Dark Knight Rises.

The Bourne Legacy was released August 10th, 2012 and stars Jeremy Renner, Scott Glenn, Stacy Keach, Edward Norton, Donna Murphy, Michael Chernus, Corey Stoll, Alice Gainer. The film is directed by Tony Gilroy.

Sources: Empire

1. Vienna Pace Kunnas

Good point Playhouse - like your idea better

2 years agoby @Vienna-Pace-KunnasFlag

2. Vienna Pace Kunnas

Oh my! That would be amazing! I absolutely LOVE all the bourne movies! They're my absolute favorite! Matt Damon is a brilliant actor, as is Renner. Making a movie with both of them starring, would just be amazing! I really hope Universal will make it happen. Plus if they do make a movie with both of them in it, I know they will make TONS of money! It's only beneficial to them!

2 years agoby @Vienna-Pace-KunnasFlag

3. Salemwolf711

please make this happen!

2 years agoby @Salemwolf711Flag

4. Jay.A.Ottley

It would be quite simple to actually do a team-up between Cross & Bourne, but this has no chance of ever happening unless the film is going to be directed by Paul Greengrass.

2 years agoby @jayaottleyFlag

Feeling skeptical about this still but will hold judgement until i see something.

2 years agoby @skywiseFlag

6. K.Guy

@bawnian-dexeus Boom! :D

2 years agoby @kguyFlag

7. CUPID

Bourne should kill Cross at the end, that would be awesome :P

2 years agoby @cupidFlag

The Bourne Encounter

9. Nicholaus XX

Their going to turn a great action franchise into a joke, and I can't help but watch...

2 years agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

10. jasdjqs

can't wait for the team up

2 years agoby @jasdjqsFlag

11. Playhouse

While I do like the idea of a team-up at some point, I'd rather the Aaron Cross storyline in this world play on its own for another film or two before that were to happen. And I'd be happy to see a fourth Jason Bourne film. I'd even welcome other films with other characters that expand the world even further. Uni has a unique opportunity here to build a franchise not just centered on one character but on a broad universe to explore. That's why, to me, rushing to a team-up film seems a tad short-sighted and insular right now.

2 years agoby @playhouseFlag

I figured a while ago that the 5th would be a team up. Not surprised at all.

2 years agoby @dan1Flag

13. Gandoff

Watched the trailer the other day for the Bourne Legacy. Looks great. High hopes for this film. But the chance to see Matt back in the next won, maybe team up with Jeremy's character would be super sweet. I know, cheesy talk, but this movies style fits them both well when it comes to action movies.

2 years agoby @gandoffFlag

14. David garcia

Did Matt Damon said that he was going to make a cameo in the film, if this is true then it'll be awesome.

2 years agoby @David-garcia-67788063Flag

15. SherlockHolmes2009

That sounds like itd be awesome

2 years agoby @SherlockHolmes2009Flag

No contest, but would be great to see some competition on screen that wouldn't have to die by a math book

17. Garret

Having Matt come back in the 5th to team up would be brilliant. The past three movies were fantastic, was a bit in doubt with this one, but so far I'm openminded. Let's see if it can be another great movie.

2 years agoby @garretbyrneFlag

18. Zak Lee Ferguson

Greenburg its been tampered with dont come in now as second best, they have done it now- this is going to be "the legacy" series- oh yes i emphasise on the "legacy-series" esp*cially on the "series" with "renner" who "cant" act to try and get out of a "paper" bag.

2 years agoby @Zak-Lee-FergusonFlag

19. Zak Lee Ferguson

At least this diminishes my fears for a Renner helmed BOurne series, because to have him head a series i dont think i could take it along with the Bourne staple it just- it just- IT JUST GETS ME MUDDERF*CKA'S!

2 years agoby @Zak-Lee-FergusonFlag

20. LuxoIII

The way they're setting this up, I feel like this is almost the only way to go from here. And it sounds awesome!!!

2 years agoby @brady1138Flag

21. Joshua Hollaway

Would be epic

2 years agoby @Joshua-HollawayFlag

22. AHSK

Jeremy Renner is really talented actor and Matt is awesome together they can make fifth one the best action film

2 years agoby @AHSKFlag

23. Hamless Rockson

higher expectations

2 years agoby @Hamless-RocksonFlag

24. CelluloidDreams

This could work.

2 years agoby @2movieguysFlag

I'm excited for the upcoming film, but not for any future installments if they do decide to go the team-up route. Bourne is solo and should remain that way.

The great thing about the Bourne mythology is that while it's all set in a dark and secretive world, Bourne is the lone character who keeps us grounded and emotionally attached to it all.

While I'm sure I'll enjoy Renner's character, Bourne is and always will be the primary fundament of this story. His search for who he is and quest to claiming a new life is what drives this action epic. Don't lose that. Spinning it all off and away from Bourne, and having "team-ups" like a typical action franchise is not the way to take this series.

2 years agoby @narratorFlag

26. JasonKat

In the trailer they say "there isnt just one bourne" and i thought, ha yea right, There was always just one. they just replaced the actor with a diff direction. meaning matt is nowhere to be found even if his name is brought up.
    Bot now hooking em both up for the next film, is much better story than this1 which im sure will be just another add on with no point.

2 years agoby @jasonkatFlag

27. Rudy

Sounds good to me, let's just hope Legacy is good first.

2 years agoby @rudyFlag

28. PUNISHER

A team up could go either way. Wouldn't mind seeing it though.

2 years agoby @cerealkillerFlag