5 Survivor Groups We Want to See in 'The Walking Dead' Spin-Off

To live through a zombie apocalypse, it helps to be from one of the most danger cities in the U.S...Check out who lives from Newark, NJ to the Oregon Coast.
Who else survives the zombie apocalypse in the U.S.?
Who else survives the zombie apocalypse in the U.S.?
It was announced earlier this week that AMC is spinning-off its most popular show, The Walking Dead. This new horror series, which comes from The Walking Dead executive producers Robert Kirkman, Gale Anne Hurd and David Alpert, will follow a different set of never-before-seen survivors while still being set within this same zombie infested universe. And because it's an American series, we don't think it's going to take place outside the U.S. Pretty exciting news, right? Well, the announcement itself was met with a resounding...Sigh of indifference.

Why, you might ask, did so few fans care so little about the expanding of this great series? That's easy. It's because we've been inundated with zombies over the course of the past few years. From World War Z, to Marvel Zombies, to an episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and even with Bath Salts on the streets, the walking dead are literally everywhere. And all the movies, TV shows, and comics are becoming interchangeable. Its not hard to imagine that The Walking Dead is taking place at the same time, in the same world as Shaun of the Dead and Juan of the Dead. We're just getting different perspectives from around the globe.

So, we openly welcome another take on that. There are many, many stories that can be told from the zombie apocalypse, and many different viewpoints AMC can come at this from. We've all imagined ourselves in the same scenario. "Could I survive?" It's the fantasy element of the whole thing that is most exciting, and there are so many different places this series could go. So, we want to look at 5 groups of survivors we'd be most interested in seeing struggle through this worldwide pandemic. Right now, The Walking Dead takes place in Atlanta, Georgia. Partly because it's cheap to shoot there, with the state's tax incentives. But also because it's the 23rd most dangerous city in America. It breeds survivors. And it makes sense to us that the rest of the survivors in the states would be from equally dangerous cities.

So, here are the "5 Survivor Groups We Want to See in The Walking Dead Spin-Off", from some of the most dangerous locations in the U.S.

1 "The Italian-American Mob" in Newark, New Jersey

Newark NJ
Its The Sopranos meets Night of the Living Dead! Can you imagine Tony and his crew going to work, ready for a hit, when suddenly they are over taken by zombies? A gang of modern day mobsters having to deal with The Walking Dead brings all the elements we'd need for a successful weekly series. We'd have a strong group dynamic that doesn't take well to strangers, so interaction with any other survivors would always prove to be interesting. They'd still need to take care of their 'mob' business, even in a torrential ghoul downpour. Some of these dudes would probably be scarier than a reanimated corpse. And laughs would naturally come flowing out of the material, never taking anything away from the scares. If a spin-off needs one thing, its some humor, or at least a little lightness, which The Walking Dead is completely devoid of. Its actually kind of amazing that someone hasn't taken this concept yet, and run all the way to the bank with it. The Walking Dead: Deadfellas! See, it's an easy sell. While Tony and his family lived in North Caldwell, we want to see this new series set in Newark, cause that place is deadly, and has the worst reputation for crime in the U.S., making it the tenth most dangerous city in the country. If you're a mobster in Newark, chances are you can survive anything.

2 "The Homeless" in Flint, Michigan

Flint, Michigan
Most Americans view the homeless as a real world version of The Walking Dead, so of course they'd survive in this new plague-filled landscape. Their immune system is untouchable. They battle harsh elements on a daily basis. And they'd blend right in. That's just in some of the nicer neighborhoods. We're taking about Flint, Michigan here! One of the most rundown cities in America. It's already a modern day wasteland. If the zombies eat the few remaining humans that somehow manage to live and thrive in Flint, the homeless would rise up as kings. It would be a modern day Game of Thrones, and the cast would be quite diverse, as there are all manners or race, creed and religion living on the cold, dead streets of this Michigan town. The zombies would just be a nuisance, and if one of the homeless gets bit? C'est la vie, they've seen shittier days. Flint is currently listed as the worst city in America, and the most dangerous. It has the highest murder, rape, and robbery rate per capita. The city has been in dire straights ever since a number of GM plants shut down years ago, and the workers never recovered, leaving some good strong citizens without jobs, or food, or hope. In 2011, The New York Times dubbed Flint "Murdertown, USA". You know Flint would survive World War Z, and it would probably rise to become the number one city for humans in America. This could be a redemption story, about how the worst place and people in the U.S. rose from the ashes to be its savior. The Walking Dead: Murdertown, U.S.A.. I'd watch that.

3 "Australian Surfers" on The Oregon Coast

The Oregon Coast
There's nothing tougher than a couple of rock-cut Australian surfers. And there's no rougher surfing spot than the Oregon Coast. Heck, it even doubled for Australia in Point Break, when Bodhi swims out past the breaks of Bells Beach. If anyone can survive a zombie apocalypse, its two salt-drenched blokes looking for that next perfect set of waves. We add in a crusty old fisherman, a pretty yet tough as nails bar wench from the local pub, a dog (cause The Walking Dead really needs a dog), and a horror movie aficionado from the Lincoln City cinema, and you have one of the crazier versions of Night of the Living Dead made yet. The Oregon Coast would add a nice element of dank wetness, set against a depressing atmosphere, which would play nicely against the almost always-sunny disposition of these two Australians, stuck in America, wondering how they will ever get home. Plus, we could add in some cool surfing scenes too boot, as the guys hang out in the water, where the living dead refuse to roam. Out of all the scenarios, this one would probably be the funniest to watch.

4 "Gangsta Rappers" in Oakland, California

Oakland California
Okay, so this one's a little bit of a cheat, as Big Daddy Kane and E-40 already starred in the Bay Area thriller Dead Heist, about a gang of bank robbers who find themselves in the midst of a zombie outbreak. But that's what makes me think this might work as a series. Instead of a National Credit Union, we'll have the jump-off point be a recording studio in the heart of Hyphy City. Bay Area musicians are a funky bunch, and it would be fun to watch a couple of gangsta rappers team up with a Mike Patton-esque Avant guard screamer, and two metal heads, as they traverse their new living dead landscape, in a city they already know to be filled with peril at every turn. Oakland is the third most dangerous city in the U.S. And speaking in terms of sheer brutality, it's also the most violent city in the country. Residents describe living there as a war zone. Heck. The zombies probably don't even want to go to Oakland, California, making it one of the safer places to be during this crisis. We think you could pull a diverse gang of characters out of a Bay Area studio, and we're pretty sure they would gleefully take on the pressures of living in a zombie cornfield. It's just another day in the Bay. Oh, also, got to make sure there's at least one white girl in there somewhere.

5 "Mexican Migrant Workers" on Auto Glass Row in East L.A.

Los Angeles, CA
Whenever I pull off Caesar Chavez, and turn up Mission past Auto Glass Row, I always think to myself, "If anyone survives a zombie apocalypse, its these guys." These are some of the coolest cats on the planet. And they live behind huge fortified walls of steel. They know how to fight, play nice, and make a living hustling outside of the Home Depot. They are born survivors. And while The Walking Dead has one of the most diverse casts on television, its sorely lacking in Mexican-Americans. If AMC wanted a hit show that could break records, having a mostly Hispanic cast would do it. This is an audience that is hungry for entertainment that reflects their lifestyle. And it's a show about survival. That's what this group does all day long. Survive. To make it an even playing ground, I also want to throw in a white Fed-Ex driver, based on the guy that comes to my house. He looks like he could knock the turd crust out off a few lumbering corpses, and he's listening to Alex Jones every time he delivers a package. You know he's awake and ready to join the fight. I think this is one of the more interesting and diverse groups AMC has to choose from. What, are they going to do another white dude leader? We don't want that! Bring on East Los Angeles, and all the things it has to offer. Make it interesting. Make it something we haven't already seen a dozen times in all the other zombie movies out there.

So, what do you think? Which group of survivors do you most want to see go up against the zombie apocalypse? Are you part of a group that could survive? Do you know of another town that can make it out of this madness alive? Let us know what you think.

1. CUPID

Lol....

11 months agoby @cupidFlag

2. CelluloidDreams

ROFL!! Nice!

11 months agoby @2movieguysFlag

3. Nicholaus XX

A silly article for a silly idea. Fitting.

11 months agoby @XxNickTheFilmCriticXxFlag

4. David garcia

I would like to see Russian troops combating the undead in the Siberian wilderness, or ragtag South African mercenaries in the ivory coast were the original zombie legend came from.

11 months agoby @David-garcia-67788063Flag

5. thedude-abides

Rofl! @ejk1 Ain't that the truth.

11 months agoby @thedude-abidesFlag

I love how Orange is always pissing people off. As a partial Italian from NJ, I disagree, though. Not because I'm offended (I get the joke), but because when in NJ I live about a mile from the Jersey Shore house. We don't need a zombie show set in NJ, seeing as how the state has already brought you The Walking Brain Dead.

11 months agoby @ejk1Flag

7. Celestialforthcoming

@gandoff good idea mate. I like your choices there. Definitely wanted to see more on the people in the CDC in general. There are so many possibilities to go from there. In fact, once i am done with a book i am writing. I plan on diving into the idea of scientist running a cure with scientific themes science begs to ponder. Of course once i focus part of my studies in virology. detroit? hmmm there's definitely some diversification there in terms of class which would be very interesting to dive into. and your idea of maybe in hawaii, i'm with you on that one all the way. Personally i wasn't a fan of the webisodes but that's because of the acting. but hey, what you threw there has potential. I would love to see this being taken somewhere where there is extreme weather. I would love to see zombies during a hurricane in the east coast and flooding. New orleans serves as a great example of what may happen realistically there. That would be very challenging for the writers and characters which would be engaging television. Or maybe base it around merchant? have him live off by the water and time and again has to come to shore once in awhile. ahhh the possibilities.

11 months agoby @CelestialforthcomingFlag

8. Celestialforthcoming

@paulington you know what, maybe you are right. Maybe I am taking it the wrong way in terms of myself. I appreciate the courtesy in how you responded.
    I guess the point i like to get across is why limit the choices with these and wrap around them with race? why is it that when someone points out they want to have diversified characters they think of race instead of something else. @gandoff 's approach is right on how I would've thought this through if asked where the show can take us. I would've said more in depth look at the scientists and how they tried to to find out answers. Perhaps doctors during the initial outbreaks as it goes from patient zero to ten, 50 patients. But orange didn't, he went on with only race in mind and what the stereotypes each race is 'deemed fit'. It's absurd to only think of a seperate race and have them live along an expectation that can be classified as stereotypical likelihood. Why not a black lawyer with a family he is trying to get back with who happens in to be in a poverty stricken area? or a single mexican business owner returning from some business trip far away and has to get back to the north to find his fiance? Why only associate specific race into something that is considered stereotype which is what orange did. Not to mention such things like "have at least one white girl there' in the gangster rapper section. what the f*ck does that even mean? It's not really a persoanl frsutration directed to the mexican part but rather what this whole article entails. What you do you think about that? I would respectfully like to hear your thoughts about this. Then again, we could just ignore this and focus on what the show can do like @gandoff said. which of course he holds some very good choices there.

11 months agoby @CelestialforthcomingFlag

9. Isaac Phillips

Wow Orange just wow. -_-

11 months agoby @isaac-phillipsFlag

10. Gandoff

Best thing we can do is ignore the actual post, and create a comment thread worthy of discussion about Walking Dead... With that said, I wold like to see these 5 places as spin off... 1, North USA. NYC would be way to busy to film in for this kind of show. But a Detroit, which could use the boost in the economy would be a great fit. 2, European city such as Paris, London, or Athens. It would be show how they was dealing with the outbreak. Like what was said during the CDC part, they could show some communications until mass power system failures. 3, Hawaii. How would a small Island handle the our break. Would it be able to block off its shores and create some kind of Zombie Free Island? 4, West Coast location like LA.. There is a whole abandoned navel base with homes also empty that has been used for shoots on Mythbusters. It could be a perfect set up for how Hollywood would be effected by the outcome... 5... The two from the storage summer eps made last year. We could follow them as they find people, loose people, and travel across the country while he tries to find his family. One good piece could be while they go the New Orleans. Swamps meet Bourbon Street Zombies...

11 months agoby @gandoffFlag

11. Paulington

@Celestialforthcoming Orange doesn't say all Mexican-Americans are hustling around home depot. Have you been to the Home Depot? There are a lot of guys out there hustling. In this article, Orange thinks those people would be most likely to survive a zombie apocalypse, cause they are strong, and smart, and now how to survive.

11 months agoby @paulingtonFlag

12. Paulington

@Celestialforthcoming Did you read this article? Its talking about how strong each of these groups are, and how they can survive through the worst of it. I think you are reading this whole thing the wrong way.

Apologizes if you are that deeply offended.

11 months agoby @paulingtonFlag

13. Celestialforthcoming

You know what...frankly, I don't give a damn as I try the best of my efforts to consider what this person is trying to suggest and tolerate his audacity. I simply can't when he took this to the black community, the hispanics, italians, even the Australians. To you orange, I say this. What were you trying to achieve from this? Is this funny? do you honestly think the typical people who fit into these groups usually fill in the expected roles we call stereotypes? do you think I 'hustle' around home depot. I am a U.S. Marine working for my college degree. do you find that shocking that I don't fit the bill? A lot of blacks trying to do the same here too from where I live in camp pendleton. and the photos... really? That's what you want to display. have a little respect. Or should I say, 'Have respect homes. don't be ignant, aight' yeah, seems fitting i guess right?

11 months agoby @CelestialforthcomingFlag

14. Celestialforthcoming

Wait, this is from TVWEB also. Is he a writer there too? or is this guy copying and pasting? truth be told, usually if I am hearing this sort of thing from kids or teens or people my age (I'm 21) I don't necessarily feel insulted nor do I mind it if it does come from some disreputable website or news article. But here it's unexpected. Am I wrong to say I feel insulted in a website I find some respect with where I don't have to face racism or stereotype or prejudice every time I come here just to see more news on film? I expect this from comedy central, abrasive and crude shows but not here. and It's not necessarily just mexicans that i find it hard to consider, Its the entire article itself. This article is pinning races of many kinds into their expected stereotype. To diversify a show doesn't mean to fit colored characters into their stereotype like how the walking dead did in the first season by surprising us who the hispanics really were trying to do. That defies expectations of a fitted stereotypes and it fit so well. hmmm maybe I am taking this too seriously. perhaps this does lay down some possibilities the show can take this article suggests. But does it have to be written the way it is?

11 months agoby @CelestialforthcomingFlag

15. Mieko_Siede

Wow...

11 months agoby @mieko-siedeFlag

16. Celestialforthcoming

I'm mexican... I don't usually take sterotype from others or racial jokes seriously and I always laugh. But I feel really insulted right now. guys, sorry if i am taking this too harshly but... F*ck off orange.

11 months agoby @CelestialforthcomingFlag