Forums: What did you watch this week?

• 3 years ago
  • Green Lantern (4/10)

As bad as most are saying. I think this film was created for the 6-12 age group and that's the problem with the WB. They toned down the characterization but then they forgot to spend the budget to make it fun. They have a script dumb enough for a 6 year old but very little fun to compensate.
  • 3 years ago
  • A real mixed bag of stuff:

Rescue Dawn - true Vietnam War story of Dieter Dengler (played by Christian Bale), who was shot down over Laos, taken captive and escaped - Excellent!
    Secretariat - another true story, this one of the greatest race horse ever, starring Diane Lane as the horse's owner. Another great film; along with Seabiscuit, one of the best horse films ever.
    Tristan & Isolde - the latest re-telling of the classic tale of the ill-fated lovers, this one from 2006, starring James Franco and Sophia Myles in the title roles. Executive-produced by Ridley and Tony Scott, very well made film.
    Wish You Were Dead - Never heard of this film before; must've been a very low budget, small release. A black comedy about an insurance claims adjuster, a conniving, middle-aged sexpot insurance fraud hustler, and a hit woman who specializes in offing cheating husbands (starring Cary Elwes, Mary Steenburgen, and Elaine Hendrix, respectively), this was really funny. Besides the main stars, this features appearances by a wide range of people, including Christopher Lloyd, Gene Simmons, and Billy Ray Cyrus.
    Okay, that was the good stuff. Now for the bad - I can't believe that in one weekend I saw two movies that instantly made it into my top 10 Worst Movies Ever. First up - Aeon Flux. Great visuals, very futuristic, good special effects, but otherwise? PIECE.OF.CRAP.
    Next - The Spirit. I saw this because I saw Frank Miller's earlier graphic novel transformed to film, Sin City, and loved it. 108 minutes of my life wasted, that I'll never get back. Well, except for that minute of Eve Mendes nude, that was definitely NOT a waste! If not for being able to ogle Eve Mendes in various states of undress, this piece of dreck would have absolutely no redeeming qualities.
  • 3 years ago
  • Watched Super 8, X-Men: First Class, Source Code, Battle: Los Angeles, and Unknown, and Aliens.
    Lord McLovin of MovieWeb
  • 3 years ago
  • Rules of Engagement - seen it before, but had to watch it again. Directed by William Friedkin and starring two of my fevorite actors, Samuel Jackson and Tommy Lee Jones, this is an awesome film!
    The Wind That Shakes The Barley - good period piece, starring Cillian Murphy and a largely Irish cast, about the Irish rebellion over British rule in the post-World War I era, when the Irish Republican Army was formed.
  • 3 years ago
  • This week I have mostly been watching Black Swan and Winter's Bone both good. The Fighter next
  • 3 years ago
  • A thread from 7 yrs ago? where has the time gone by? a lot happened in those several years :) let's bump this back up again :)
    Lord McLovin of MovieWeb
  • 3 years ago
  • - Paul. Sci-fi comedy. I liked it. I may be partial since I am a big Simon Pegg fan.

-The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. Thriller, based on the books by Stieg Larsson. I am not looking forward to the Hollywood version.
    Cuz if you shoot a bullet, someone dies. When you drop a bomb, many die. You hit a woman, love dies. But... if you say the f-word, nothing actually happens.
  • 3 years ago
  • COWBOYS and ALIENS. All the parts for a mega-hit were there. Big name producers, Steven Spielberg, Ron Howard, Brian Grazer, big name director, Jon Favreau, big name actors, Harrison Ford and Daniel Craig but somehow this film, while entertaining, isn't the blockbuster it could be. It opened at $36.4 million the first weekend but dropped considerably in its second weekend to $15.7 million which says a lot. I feel it missed its mark and as such I give it a 7.5.
    No good deed goes unpunished.
  • 3 years ago
  • Captain America - AWESOME! One of the best superhero flicks I've seen in quite a while.
    Inglorious Basterds - It was good, but from all the hype surrounding it, I was expecting a lot more.
    The Hunter - old Steve McQueen flick (his last film); okay, but I've seen him do a whole lot better.
    Mr. 3000 - Bernie Mac comedy; I really enjoyed it.
    Battleground - OLD WWII flick, in black & white, that's how old it was. Good film, though, which tells the story of the Americans encircled at Bastogne.
  • 3 years ago
    • ejk1
    • @ejk1
    • Comments: 9,217
    • MovieWeb God
    I have spent today watching the Orson Welles marathon on TCM. I began with The Stranger, for which a review has been posted if anyone's interested, and have already watched The Third Man and Citizen Kane. I'm in the middle of Touch of Evil, and will end my night with The Lady From Shanghai. I hope to have a review up for each film by the end of the week.
  • 3 years ago
  • Just finished watching Blitz and The Beaver
    There exist four rulers in this world: Gods, Humans, Vampires and Werewolves. The Question is, who do you think is above the food chain?
  • 3 years ago
  • @ghostman I know! I started this thread 7 years ago, before I was a full-time MovieWeb employee, and I'm still shocked that it's alive and well. So awesome! Thanks to everyone who keeps this thread alive and well!

As for what I've watched this week.... Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame (awesome Hong Kong flick from director Hark Tsui), Rio (charming little animated flick I watched on a plane), and Thor (superhero awesomeness). Going to see Warrior tomorrow night, very excited. I've heard great things so far!

So... what about the rest of you?? What have you watched this week! Keep this thread going!
  • 3 years ago
  • Twelve Monkeys: you can see where Duncan Jones SOURECE CODE gets its apirations from*

MIKE JUDGES BANDBUTTHEAD DO AMERICA- its alright, prefer the short, punchy episodes they piled out- still great animation for the day- cells- and old film- whre theb asis for animation back in the noughties

NAPOLEON DYNAMITE- STUPID IDIOTS- DAMN IT-THIS IS SO LIKE GREAT! (failed humour)
    Ahhhh! screaming all the way to the theatre
  • 3 years ago
  • CAPTAIN AMERICA. Plenty of action, decent story, I liked it. I give it an 8/10.
    PUSH. Interesting but nothing special. I give it a 7.5/10.
    THE PINK PANTHER. Very 1960's. Mildly entertaining slapstick. Good cast. I give it a 7/10.
  • 3 years ago
  • DATE NIGHT. Better than anticipated, fun to watch. I give it a 7.5/10.
    THE GREEN HORNET. I originally thought Seth Rogan was all wrong for the part and as it turns out he was so they changed the whole character to fit him. I didn't expect much and so I wasn't surprised. I give it a 6.5/10.
    CONTAGION. Prior to its release I heard a lot of comparisons to 1995's OUTBREAK. This movie is no OUTBREAK. It's got a very good cast with a good story told very well. I really think it's a top rate and thought provoking film. I give it a 9/10.
  • 3 years ago
  • All of the content on Discs 7 & 8 of the "Star Wars Complete Saga Blu-Ray." Mostly rich in concept art, 360* turnarounds of props, maquettes, and costumes. Very thin in interviews though. The interviews pertaining to the originals on Disc 8 are mostly helmed by ILM legend/founding father Dennis Muren, while the interviews pertaining to the prequels on Disc 7 are helmed by current ILM legend John Knoll. A slough of new unreleased deleted scenes from each trilogy is there as well, though the deleted scenes featured on the previous prequel dvd releases were not included. Nor the doc*mentaries or the 39 production webisodes.

26 of the 40hrs of bonus content is made up of the two audio commentaries for each film. The 3 vintage "making of" doc*mentaries for the 3 films from the years they were released was cool. The doc*mentary on the 501st was interesting, and the 97 minutes of spoofs was unnecessary, but some were pretty funny. The 25 minute bonus interviews pertaining to "Empire Strikes Back" released last year was a nice sendoff for its 30th, and Irvin Kershner (RIP). I've yet to watch all the films on blu-ray, but "Revenge of the Sith" is spectacular with surround sound, and HD plasma screen. It's the closest I've ever felt to being back in the theater watching a movie.
    You think Pike and Sykes haven't been watchin' us. They know what this is all about - and what do I have? Nothin' but you egg-suckin', chicken stealing gutter trash with not even sixty rounds between you. We're after men - and I wish to God I was with 'em
  • 3 years ago
  • HEIST - starring Gene Hackman, Sam Rockwell, Danny DeVito, great crime caper.
    STREETS OF FIRE - Jeez, I remember back when this came out (1984), all the hype about it. I don't know why, it was complete crap!
    BAD LIEUTENANT: PORT OF CALL NEW ORLEANS - Tedious Nicolas Cage film, not even the hotness of Eva Mendes could salvage this.
    HORRIBLE BOSSES - Hilarious! One of the funniest movies I've seen all year.
  • 3 years ago
  • I watched Red State, Hesher, Your Highness, for the first time this weekend. Also watched Scream 4 for the second time...still didn't like it, and the Big Lebowski for the eleventy seventh time.
  • 3 years ago
  • good frnd very nice
    Http://cyberfun4u.com
  • 3 years ago
  • Hmm, seems as though a new troll has come out from under the bridge. Can we boot this idiot off, like, yesterday?
(More)Most Commented Threads
(More)Recent Activity